Application deadline: Wednesday, November 12, 2014.
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of high achievement, and must show evidence of outstanding potential for professional advancement and significant impact in their chosen field;
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation‘s fields of expertise – governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Have outstanding personal character and integrity;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by the time of selection: January 1, 2015;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan, Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and Vietnam.
- Leadership Training Program [Singapore, March 4 – 9, 2015]– The Leadership Training Program features coursework at the prestigious Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore. Within the larger objective of enhancing leadership skills and potential, the training will focus on strategic thinking and decision-making, working with participants on developing critical perspectives, solving complicated problems, managing change, and introducing innovative approaches in leadership and management.
- Workshop on Asian Development [Nepal, March 10 – 15, 2015]– Leading development practitioners and thinkers, recognized policy leaders, and academics will help Fellows explore strategies, experiences, and approaches that deliver positive impact and advance development knowledge.
The 2015 Workshop will be held in Nepal, whose development challenges and innovations will serve as a contextual backdrop for applying theories and concepts in international development. The workshop is held each year in a different Asian nation.
- Leadership Dialogue and Exchange [U.S.A., September 13 – 30, 2015] – Asia Foundation Development Fellows will take part in a leadership dialogue and exchange program in the United States, providing important opportunities to extend personal bonds with their cohort, as well as building international perspectives and networks of support and inspiration. Over a two-week period, the Fellows will take part in a comprehensive series of programs, policy discussions, and leadership development opportunities organized in and around Washington, DC and San Francisco.
- Professional Development Award– An award of up to US$5,000 will be made available to each of the selected Asia Foundation Development Fellows. This cash award will allow each Fellow the opportunity to design individualized plans to further their leadership skills and relevant professional experience in areas of particular importance to their career growth.
Each Fellow will be asked to develop a personalized, year-long work plan that can involve such areas as enrollment in specialized training programs or short courses, language study, travel to attend key regional forums or workshops, or engagement in a series of other enrichment activities
Mentoring– Building on the regional network and local capacity of The Asia Foundation, the Development Fellows program offers a mentoring component that is tailored around the background and professional interests of the Fellows. The Foundation has valuable perspectives to lend to the field of leadership development, with a proven program history and record of commitment throughout Asia. Fellows will also become part of an active and engaged alumni network.
Online Application form
- Personal information
- Written submission
- Supplementary materials: CV and transcript
- Short video submission
- Letters of recommendation (handled online)
For More Information: