Application Deadline: February 28 2015
AICGS is now accepting applications for the next round of DAAD fellowships. The application deadline for Fall 2015 (July 2015 – December 2015) is February 28, 2015.
The DAAD/AICGS Research Fellowship Program, funded by a generous grant from the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD), is designed to bring scholars and specialists working on Germany, Europe, and/or transatlantic relations to AICGS for research stays of two consecutive months each. Fellowships include a monthly stipend of up to $4,725, depending on the seniority of the applicant; transportation to and from Washington; and office space at the Institute.
DAAD/AICGS Research Fellows will be expected to produce a short analytical essay that will be published on the AICGS website and distributed via the Institute’s targeted analysis newsletter, The AICGS Advisor. For fellows producing research output of exceptional quality and interest, AICGS will provide opportunities for public presentations to the broader Washington policy community.
Project proposals should address a topic closely related to one or more of the Institute’s three research and programming areas:
Special consideration will be given to research projects addressing the Institute’s current issue agenda.
Qualifications and Application Procedure
- Applicants must be German or American citizens or applicants affiliated with DAAD Centers for German and European Studies.
- Applicants should have completed or currently be working on a PhD. Only in exceptional cases will fellowships be awarded to applicants with an MA, who are not PhD students.
- All application materials MUST be submitted in English and received by AICGS by the deadline in order to be considered for fellowships in the specified period.
- Individuals who have received a grant or other support from the DAAD within three years of the starting date of the fellowship are not eligible to apply [this does not apply for applicants affiliated with DAAD Centers for German and European Studies].
There is no formal application form. To apply for the DAAD/AICGS fellowship program, please submit the following materials (combined in one PDF file):
- A brief cover letter (please indicate your citizenship in the cover letter and how you have heard about the fellowship)
- A curriculum vitae, with a list of publications (if relevant)
- A project proposal (5-7 pages, double-spaced) outlining in clear, concise terms the substantive thrust of the research and its relevance to the AICGS mission, and the reasons for carrying it out at AICGS and in Washington, DC
- Two recent letters of reference (for Ph.D. students and recent PhDs (received in the last five years) only).
- Successful applicants must be proficient in the English language. We recommend that non- U.S. applicants submit the results of a recognized English language proficient test (TOEFL or IELTS) with their application.
For More Information: