Application Deadline: May 8th 2015
Do you have an innovative idea that will help make your city more livable? Are you eager to serve and engage your community?
Show us your idea and tell us about yourself. You could be selected as a K880 Emerging City Champion.
The K880 Emerging City Champions program provides young, emerging, and diverse leaders with the opportunity to make immediate and lasting impacts in their communities. K880 believe that livable cities are successful cities.
Making our cities safer and more enjoyable for everyone, from eight to 80 years old, will help our communities attract and retain talent, create economic opportunity, and build civic engagement.
- If you are between the ages of 19 and 35; if you have the ideas; if you’re willing to try and fail and learn;
- if you have the drive and passion; and,
- if you live in either Akron, Ohio; Charlotte, North Carolina; Detroit, Michigan; Macon, Georgia; Miami, Florida; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Saint Paul, Minnesota; or San Jose, California then apply today to be a K880 Emerging City Champion.
880 Cities and Knight Foundation will select 24 Champions from the pool of applicants: three Champions each city.
How to Apply:
- To apply to be a K880 Emerging City Champion, fill in the online application form and submit a link to a creation that explains your innovative idea, describes yourself, and the captures the essence of the community you want to serve.
- You can submit a 3 to 5 minute video (nothing longer), a poster, a slideshow, a song or any format that can be shared online –be creative!
- Your creation should be posted online and should be shareable (published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license). You can use any publicly available platform -Youtube, Vimeo, Behance, Deviantart, Facebook, Vine, Instagram, etc.
In your online creation, tell us:
a. Your idea
b. Your name, and a bit about yourself
c. Your community and where the project will take place
d. Why your community needs this idea (and how they will benefit from it).
We encourage you to share this multimedia project with your online communities.
Emerging City Champions Studio:
The Emerging City Champions Studio, in Toronto on June 12-16, 2015, will introduce participants to best practices in city building and civic engagement from around the world. Champions will learn how to become better city advocates.
The Studio will also equip Champions with the tools they need to implement their own community projects.
There will be networking opportunities, site tours, and engaging presentations from leading experts. Workshops will provide an opportunity for each Champion to plan and develop his or her individual project in a collaborative environment.
Champions will return home from Toronto armed with new knowledge, new tools and specific goals for the next 12 months.
Travel expenses will be fully covered for the Emerging City Champions Studio.
For More Information: