Application Deadline: June 29th 2015
“JOURNALISM BETWEEN POLITICS, PROPAGANDA AND PRISON”
12 to 18 September 2015, Potsdam, Germany
Held in cooperation with the Federal Foreign Ministry, the workshop invites young journalists between 18 and 26 years from the Eastern Partnership countries Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Belarus, Armenia and Azerbaijan as well as Germany.
The event will offer a six-day intensive workshop led by expert subject-area trainers. Participants will be taught how propaganda works and what its objectives are, how it can be recognised, how to verify information (including within social networks), and how as journalists they can defend themselves against propaganda, co-optation, and manipulation by governments and lobbyists.
Participants will be required to work in teams to accomplish specific tasks, thus gaining new insights from one another. This lays a foundation for their further work, and for the strengthening of free, independent journalism in these countries, in turn heightening awareness of the importance of a free press for these countries’ populations and their further democratisation.
Not least, participation in the M100 Sanssouci Colloquium, which will be attended by 50 to 60 senior editors, academics, bloggers, and politicians from Europe and the USA on 17 September 2015.
- Young journalists between 18 and 26 years old from Eastern Partnership countries Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Belarus, Armenia and Azerbaijan as well as Germany can apply by submitting a text in English (5.000 characters, including spaces maximum) and the following task:
“Journalism between Politics, Propaganda and Prison in my country”.
- Describe your knowledge and own experiences with this issue in your journalistic work, if situation has changed in the last years, if and how media and journalists are controlled or threatened and how they deal with this situation.
How to Apply:
- Please include a brief CV (with a photo) and motivational statement in your application, stating your reasons for applying for this particular workshop (both in English).
- 20 to 25 participants will be selected from among the applicants and invited to Potsdam from 12 September (arrival) to 19 September 2015 (departure).
- The organisers of the M100 Young European Journalists Workshop will cover accommodation and board during the workshop. A travel allowance is provided. The workshop will be held in English.
For More Information: