Application Deadline: June 30th 2015
Government of India has launched a Central Sector scheme namely, Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF) during the financial year 2012-13 to increase opportunities to students with disabilities for pursuing higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and Ph.D. The scheme will take effect from 1st April 2012.
The scheme caters the requirements of the students with disabilities for pursuing research degree in universities, research institutions and scientific institutions. This will not only enable them to be eligible for employment to the posts of Lecturers lying vacant in various colleges and universities but will equip them to effectively take advantage of the growing opportunities at the national and international level in the context of the new economic order.
Scope of the Scheme:
- The scheme caters total number of 200 Fellowship [Junior Research Fellows (JRF)] per year to students with disabilities.
- The scheme covers all universities/institutions recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and Non-Universities/Institutions and is implemented by the UGC itself on the pattern of the scheme of UGC Fellowship being awarded to research students pursuing M.Phil. and Ph.D.
- These fellowships will be available to students with disabilities who are covered under The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995. Thus, a person with disability who wishes to avail the benefit under the Act has to obtain a disability certificate from the medical authority notified for the purpose.
- Any student with disabilities who is already registered to M.Phil./Ph.D. degree in a University or academic institution by completing the required formalities for admission in that University or academic institution is eligible for the award of Fellowship, subject to provision of the scheme as per the advertisement of UGC.
- After two years, if the progress in the research works of the awardee is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended for a further period of three years as Senior Research Fellowship (SRF).
- The SRF shall be sanctioned on year to year basis on the recommendation of the Supervisor of the candidate duly accepted/rejected by the Head of the Department and finally approved by the Vice-Chancellor. The total period of award of JRF and SRF shall not exceed a period of five years.
- The students with disabilities once considered eligible for the fellowship shall not be entitled to any other benefits from Central or State Government or any other body like UGC offering similar benefit to avoid duplication and increase coverage.
- Only those doing regular and full time M.Phil./Ph.D. course of a University/Research Institution shall be eligible for the fellowship. Employees of any University/College/Educational Institution/Central/State/UT Government shall be excluded from availing Fellowship, even if they are on Study Leave or EOL to pursue the M.Phil./Ph.D. course.