Deadline : Applications are due January 15, 2015; awards will be announced in April 2015.
When: June 8–August 7, 2015.
Each summer the Terra Foundation offers ten residential fellowships for emerging artists and doctoral scholars in the history of American art and visual culture at its properties in Giverny, France. The Terra Summer Residency (TSR) offers opportunities to pursue individual work within a framework of interdisciplinary exchange and cross-cultural dialogue.
During this 9-week period, fellows interact regularly with invited senior advisors and guest lecturers, who direct weekly seminars and hold individual meetings. Private visits to exhibitions and attendance of special conferences are also proposed. In addition to the fellowship stipend, fellows are provided with on-site lodging, working facilities and lunches for the duration of the residency.
At the end of the program, fellows share the work that was accomplished during the residency and the artists present their work in the open studios. The program encourages fellows to make lifelong connections and become part of the international alumni community of Terra fellows.
Eligibility & Application Information
Candidates worldwide can apply. Applicants must be either:
- A visual artist with a master’s degree or its equivalent at the time of application. Preference is given to applicants who have completed their degree within the past five years. Download the artist fellowship application form.
- A doctoral candidate researching American art and visual culture prior to 1980 within the United States or in the context of international artistic exchange. Candidates should be at an advanced stage of their doctoral research and writing. Download the predoctoral scholar fellowship application form.
Qualifications and Selection
Applications for the Terra Summer Residency will be evaluated on the basis of the candidate’s intellectual and creative excellence, scholarly accomplishments, and ability to contribute in a collegial and interdisciplinary community. All applicants are expected to be fluent in English; knowledge of French is desirable but not required.
Information about Funding
Terra Summer Residency fellows receive:
- A $5,000 stipend (artists receive an additional $300 for the purchase of materials);
- A travel contribution (up to $250 for individuals traveling from Europe; up to $1,000 for individuals traveling from outside Europe); and
- Lodging in the Terra Foundation residences and daily lunches.
For More Information: