Application Deadline: January 31, 2015 .
Highly qualified undergraduate students are invited to apply for scholarships funding study, senior thesis research and/or internships in Germany.
The goal of this program is to support study abroad in Germany and at German universities. Preference will be given to students whose projects or programs are based at and organized by a German university. Scholarships are available either as part of an organized study abroad program or as part of an individual, student-designed study abroad semester or year.
Each year, an independent selection committee of academics and international education experts is assembled to select the Undergraduate Scholarship grantees. This committee is looking for students who:
- are currently second and third year students and will be in their third and fourth year during their stay in Germany
are seeking DAAD support for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year
- possess outstanding academic records and personal integrity, as evinced by both their grades and letters of recommendation
have well-defined study, research or internship plans for their stay in Germany
- submit the DAAD language evaluation form with their application, although German language competency is not mandatory
- demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and who explain the significance of their project in Germany to their future studies, research or professional goals
- are enrolled, full-time students in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited North American college or university
- will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their bachelor’s degree
- Scholarships may be granted for a minimum of four (one semester) and a maximum of 10 months (one academic year). Recipients will be awarded a monthly stipend of approximately € 650, plus additional funds to help defray travel and research expenses as well as health insurance.
Note: The scholarship periods must take place during the German academic year (anywhere from October 2015 through July 2016)
The Application Process
Collate four sets of the following application materials (1 original, 3 photocopies):
- Original printout of the online application form with your signature
- Project Proposal (approximately 3 pages, )
- Two Letters of Recommendation (no more, no less): If you have two majors, please submit letters from professors in both of your major fields of study; Otherwise, please submit a letter from a professor in your major field of study, and a letter from a professor in one of your minor fields of study. Please make sure to tell your professors not to send letters in German!
Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility
- One of the following: Acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university
- Transcripts (for the Undergraduate Scholarship Program only college transcripts!)
- Language Evaluation Certificate (Sprachzeugnis). All applicants are required to submit this, even if your study program is in English.
You will receive an e-mail or letter of acknowledgment approximately four weeks after the deadline. If you want proof of receipt right away, please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard in your application.
Applicants will receive notification of acceptance in May 2015.
Mail your complete application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
For More Information: