Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 27, 2015.
As part of Google’s commitment to military veterans, Google established the Google SVA Scholarship in partnership with Student Veterans of America. The scholarship provides assistance to student veterans who are pursuing university degrees in the field of computer science in the U.S. Selected students will receive 10,000 USD for the 2015-2016 school year and will be invited to attend the Google Scholars’ Retreat in the summer of 2015.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at a university for the 2014-2015 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student at a university in the United States for the 2015-2016 academic year
- Maintain a strong academic performance
- Be pursuing a computer science or computer engineering degree, or a degree in a closely related technical field
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for computer science and technology
- Be a current student veteran (includes members of the National Guard or Reserve) as proven by a DD-214 and transcript, or a student on Active Duty as proven by submission of Active Duty orders and a Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer indicating that you are currently in good standing with your unit and transcript
- Have received an honorable discharge, or be in good standing with his/her branch of service
You will be asked to complete an online application through SVA which must include:
- General background information (e.g., contact information and details about your current and intended institutions for the 2015-2016 school year)
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institution (if you have earned a prior degree)
- DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214), or Active Duty orders and a Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer indicating that you are currently in good standing with your unit
- Two letters of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to three essay questions
Deadline to apply: Submit a completed application here by
Recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their essays and application materials compared to the entire applicant pool.