Application Deadline: January 31, 2016 .
Highly qualified undergraduate students are invited to apply for scholarships funding study, senior thesis research and/or internships in Germany. The goal of this program is to support study abroad in Germany and at German universities. Preference will be given to students whose projects or programs are based at and organized by a German university. Scholarships are available either as part of an organized study abroad program or an independent study abroad semester or year.
Each year, an independent selection committee of academics and international education experts is assembled to select the Undergraduate Scholarship grantees. This committee is looking for students who:
- are currently second and third year students and will be in their third and fourth year during their stay in Germany
- are seeking DAAD support for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year
possess outstanding academic records and personal integrity, as evinced by both their grades and letters of recommendation
- have well-defined study, research or internship plans for their stay in Germany
submit the DAAD language evaluation form with their application, although German language competency is not mandatory
- demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and who explain the significance of their project in Germany to their future studies, research or professional goals
are enrolled, full-time students in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited North American college or university
- will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their bachelor’s degree
What can be funded?
- Study abroad & exchanges
- internships of 3 months or less as part of a semester of study abroad
- internships of up to 10 months that are a mandatory and integral part of the course of studies
- senior thesis research stays
Scholarships may be granted for a minimum of 4 (one semester) and a maximum of 10 months (one academic year). The scholarship period must take place during the German academic year, i.e. September/October 2016 – July 2017).
Monthly stipend of €650, health, accident and liability insurance, travel allowance.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form for funding program „Undergraduate Scholarship, 2016″ (available after December 1) – to be downloaded from the application portal after registering
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany (letter of motivation; 1-3 pages; see FAQs for tips)
- Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility
- Proof of acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university. This can be submitted after the rest of the application, but prior to starting the program. In this case, please include in your application a letter from your study abroad office or the program you are applying to, which confirms that you are indeed applying for the respective program.
- College Transcripts (can be scanned and uploaded in non-certified form.)
- Language Evaluation Certificate (Sprachzeugnis). If you have any knowledge of German, submit this document signed by a faculty member of the German Department at your institution. If you have no knowledge of German and your study language in Germany is English, be sure to submit this certificate anyway, indicating that your study language is English, and write at the top “No knowledge of German.” (Please note that German is not a requirement for the Undergraduate Scholarship).
2. To be submitted by mail:
- The “Application summary”, which is generated in the portal in PDF format and can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 3 copies to the application address.
- One reference letter (3 copies – one for each copy of the application) from a university teacher in a sealed envelope with original signature AND have your reference send the letter via email to undergrad[at]daad.org. Please ensure that your reference emails a scan of the original which includes his/her signature.
For More Information: