The Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program is a 7-week intensive computer science course that embeds classrooms in technology companies and universities. Girls learn everything from robotics to mobile development to HTML and CSS while gaining exposure to the tech industry and receiving valuable mentorship from women working in technology.
Key programmatic components of the Girls Who Code Immersion Program include:
- Skills – Seven weeks of intensive instruction in computer science, robotics, algorithms, web design, and mobile development
- Exposure – Speakers, demos, workshops, and presentations from female engineers and entrepreneurs; field trips to technology companies, startups, academic institutions and more
- Mentorship – Top female executives, entrepreneurs and engineers provide career and academic mentorship
The Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program embeds 20 rising high school juniors and seniors inside a technology company or university setting from 9-4PM each day. Here, young women get hands-on experience in computing concepts, programming fundamentals, mobile phone development, robotics, and web development and design. Project-based curricular modules allow participants to build products and develop innovative solutions designed to inspire an interest in and encourage their pursuit of computer science.
- Daily classroom instruction is paired with talks, demos, and workshops led by inspiring female entrepreneurs, CEOs, developers, designers, and computer science majors who serve as mentors and role models throughout the program, each aligned with the subject matter discussed that week.
- Field trips to the tech giants such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, AT&T, Gilt Groupe, Foursquare, and the News Corp allow the young women to envision a future for themselves in this career and begin networking with those in the field.
- The Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program curriculum is designed and research-proven to engage and encourage young women in computer science. Each topic, activity and speaker is chosen to empower the young women with the skills to contribute to their schools and communities.
Be current sophomores or juniors in high school.
Possess a U.S. address.
Commit to attending the full 7-week program in their respective location. The program runs Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm daily.
Commute to and from program every day. Girls Who Code will work with participants to coordinate transportation as needed. Transportation stipends will be provided to local students who have financial need. Housing and travel considerations for non-local students are not provided.
For More Information: