2017 Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership ( $USD 3,000 cash prize)
Application Deadline: May 15th 2017
Earth Island Institute established The Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership in 2000 to honor renowned environmental advocate David Brower, who was quoted as saying “I love to see what young people can do, before someone old tells them it’s impossible.” It is with this spirit that we recognize the outstanding leadership efforts of young people who are working for the protection of our shared planet.
- Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 (as of July 1, 2017) living in North America (including Mexico, Canada, some Caribbean Islands) and US “Territories” are encouraged to apply.
- Each of the six recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy award winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a week long trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
- During their stay in California, the recipients will participate in a camping trip, leadership activities, speaking and media engagements, and trainings and environmental conferences giving them a chance to meet with mentors and peers. We invest in their continued success by providing ongoing access to resources, mentors, and opportunities to develop leadership skills.
- The week of activities culminates in the awards ceremony in front of more than 900 guests in San Francisco on October 17, 2017.
All applications must be completed using our online process. Please notify us well in advance of the deadline if you foresee any problems with submitting an application online.
You must complete your own application. Parents, friends, mentors, teachers, etc. must not complete it for you.
In addition to meeting award eligibility requirements and following all instructions to complete the online application, each applicant must submit:
- Photograph of yourself
- Letter of support from someone who is familiar with you and your environmental work (cannot be from a parent or guardian)
Please contact us well in advance of the deadline for support with the submission of your application or clarifying questions by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until 9:00 pm Pacific Time on May 15, 2017. Applications submitted after the deadline due to technical issues will not be accepted.
For More Information: