Application Deadline: June 15th 2016
VEFSTA is pleased to announce the 2017 VEFSTA Fellowship Program for Vietnamese nationals to pursue graduate studies at leading universities in the U.S. The VEFSTA Fellowship application and selection process is open, competitive, and transparent. Winners are chosen based on individual merit, including academic performance and preparation, intellectual capability, English proficiency, and the potential for contribution to the development of science and technology in Vietnam
The Vietnam Education Foundation Science and Technology Development Association (VEFSTA) is the organization of the Fellows and Scholars of the Vietnam Education Foundation (VEF).
The primary purposes of VEFSTA are to help Vietnam build excellence in research and application of science and technology; and to help connect Vietnamese scholars and scientists with the international science and technology community. An important activity of VEFSTA is to support outstanding young Vietnamese researchers in the fields of science, technology, and medicine to apply to top graduate schools in the U.S. and other countries around the world.
- VIETNAMESE by citizenship
- College graduate or undergraduate who will receive at least a Bachelor’s degree no later than August 1, 2017 in an eligible field of study (see item 6 below).
- GPA. Overall Grade Point Average (GPA) from a college or university of at least 7.0/10.0. Grades on other scales must be converted into a 10-point scale. A grade conversion scale is available at: http://vefsta.vn/file.axd?file=/GPA%20conversion%20table.pdf.
- English Language Proficiency. The applicant must demonstrate sufficient English language proficiency by submitting a TOEFL score of at least 80 on the Internet-Based Test (iBT) or an IELTS score of at least 6.5. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an English-speaking country is accepted as an equivalent.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination). All applicants must provide VEFSTA with scores of the GRE General Test taken no earlier than June 15, 2011.
- Field of Study. Applicants must intend to study a field in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (such as public health, biomedical epidemiology, and immunology).
- VEFSTA provides letters of recommendation from prominent U.S. professors and VEFSTA members who are VEF Alumni with Ph.D. degrees from leading U.S. universities.
- VEFSTA offers regular online advising meetings and a broad network of VEFSTA members who are studying at U.S. universities and can serve as mentors to support applicants during the application process.
- VEFSTA will organize a Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO), tentatively in June/July 2017, before the Fellowship winners depart for the United States. The PDO prepares them with important issues regarding academic matters, cultural differences, financial arrangements, as well as legal issues. Included in the PDO is an outdoor team-building event, which may involve one day of camping.
- VEFSTA has no requirements regarding visa or future work commitment. The Fellows will study in the U.S. under the F-1 visa granted by their prospective university.
- The Fellows will join VEFSTA, a growing network of researchers and professionals graduated from leading graduate programs in science and technology in the U.S.
Applicants are evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- Superior academic and research potential, demonstrated through GPA, awards, theses, and research publications.
- Demonstrated satisfactory GRE scores and English skills, in terms of TOEFL/IELTS score and communications, to be able to succeed at a U.S. graduate institution.
- Demonstrated leadership and potential contribution to the development of science and technology in Vietnam.
To prepare for the VEFSTA Fellowship online application, applicants must have the following information and documents ready:
- DEGREE CERTIFICATES AND TRANSCRIPTS. Applicants are required to provide degree certificates and transcripts from undergraduate studies and from graduate studies, if any, translated into English with an official notarization or with an official school stamp. Those who have not yet graduated must upload a certification from their current university.
- EVIDENCE OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY. Any of the following means is acceptable to demonstrate proficiency:
- A TOEFL score of at least 80 on the internet-Based Test taken no earlier than June 15, 2014.
- A minimum score of 6.5 on an IELTS exam taken no earlier than June 15, 2014.
- Degree from an English-speaking country. The applicant must demonstrate current enrollment or certificate of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree received no earlier than June 15, 2014, from a university in an English-speaking country. Please be aware that U.S. universities may still require an official International TOEFL score.
- GRE SCORE REPORT. All applicants must provide VEFSTA with scores from the GRE General Test, of at least 290, taken no earlier than June 15, 2011.
- RESUME. Each applicant must upload a resume (of no more than 400 words in one page), which is a summary of his/her education background, work/research experience, publications, skills, and accomplishments.
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE. Each applicant must prepare a Statement of Purpose (no more than 400 words), which is an essay that shows his/her academic potential and enthusiasm for graduate studies, as well as leadership potential for the development of science and technology in Vietnam.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION. Two letters of recommendation must be provided by professors under whom the applicant has studied or undertaken research or by work supervisors. Letters must be written in English on official letterhead and must be signed by the referee.
- U.S. UNIVERSITIES. Applicants must list at least 3 U.S. universities together with the relevant departments, including 2 professors with whom they would like to study at each university, and the reason why the particular advisors or professors were selected.
- OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS: Applicants can submit any other supporting documents to strengthen their application.
The 2017 VEFSTA Fellowship application and selection process, please email to email@example.com.
For More Information: