Application Deadline: June 15th, 2018,
Digital technologies have already transformed the social fabric of life in the twenty-first century. They are now poised to profoundly influence clinical practice and healthcare. As a world-leader in musculoskeletal healthcare, Zimmer Biomet has always been exploiting new technologies to advance the pace of innovation. To take this commitment to the next level, Zimmer Biomet is announcing the
2nd Zimmer Biomet Connected Health Innovation Award : to advance the application of digital innovations in musculoskeletal healthcare. It comes with a financial prize of €25,000 and piloting and promoting opportunities across Europe.
The Zimmer Biomet Connected Health Innovation Award (“Award”) is intended to accelerate the pace of innovation in the field of digital technologies in musculoskeletal health at large, and provide opportunities to pilot and launch digital innovations at Europe’s leading hospitals. Applicants for the Award have to demonstrate an innovative technology-enabled solution targeting current and future needs in musculoskeletal healthcare. Eventually, the finalists will present their applications to a jury of renowned experts from industry and academia at the Zimmer Biomet EMEA headquarters in Winterthur (Switzerland). For all finalists, accommodation and travel costs for attending the finals event will be borne by Zimmer Biomet as described further below.
The Award application must be submitted by June 15th, 2018, and finalists will be announced by June 30th. The Finals will take place at Zimmer Biomet’s European HQ in Winterthur (Switzerland), in the 2nd week of July.
This is a unique chance for researchers, entrepreneurs and start-ups to present their work to renowned experts for feedback, and for opening up opportunities to accelerate the development and growth of their innovations.
The overall objective of the Award is to advance the use of digital technologies in musculoskeletal healthcare to help professionals and their patients’ progress to the next level. Eligible innovations should help to solve unmet needs in the treatment of musculoskeletal and orthopedic conditions (i.e. disorders of, or injuries to, the bones, joints, and supporting soft tissues).
Zimmer Biomet is specifically interested in digital solutions to address following challenges / pain points which hospitals which perform joint replacements typically face:
- Infection prevention and treatment
- Reducing costs and complexity of implant and instrument logistics (i.e. e-ordering, EDI etc.)
- Managing remote patient monitoring after hospital discharge and at home
- Simplifying documentation (paper work, bureaucracy etc.) for HCPs within the Hospital
- Increasing efficiency of providing Medical Education (i.e. virtual education platforms etc.)
Applicants must have a market-ready product, have obtained any necessary regulatory approvals and should have first users willing to act as a reference (minimum 2-3 hospitals where a product has already been implemented and was used). The applicants must be able to demonstrate the value and core functionality of the products beyond concepts, papers, sketches, mockups, designs, formula and patents.
- The Award is open to individuals, groups and organizations (including academia and industry).
- The application needs to include a general description of the technology-enabled innovation (including pictures and videos). The application should further sketch the innovation that is proposed on a level of detail, which allows assessing the use of technology to address a particular unmet need in musculoskeletal healthcare in a novel way. Finally, it should provide some information on the economic impact of the proposed innovation. Furthermore, a short description of the individual, team or organization and its background should be provided.
- The selected finalists will be invited to the Zimmer Biomet headquarters at Winterthur (Switzerland) to present their innovation and compete for the Award in the 2nd week of July. Zimmer Biomet covers accommodation and travel costs for up to three persons per team for this final event (up to the amounts specified below).
- During the finals event, the winner of the Award and the €25,000 prize will be announced.
For More Information: