7th Model ASEM in conjunction with the 11th ASEM Summit (ASEM11) “20 Years of ASEM: Partnership for Future through Connectivity
Model ASEM is a 3-day youth conference and political simulation of the actual Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit. It is a platform for political debate and negotiation where over 150 participants from the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) countries have the possibility to experience Asia-Europe diplomacy through role-play exercises, practical trainings as well as meetings with the ASEM Leaders of today.
- Be part of a diplomatic delegation and represent one of the 53 ASEM partners;
- Play the role of a Head of State or ASEM leader and debate political, economic and socio-cultural issues with your counterparts from Asia and Europe;
- Develop a consensus-based Chair’s Statement, which is to be presented to the ASEM Leaders at the Opening Ceremony of the 11th ASEM Summit (ASEM11);
- Enhance your understanding of Asia-Europe collaboration and the ASEM process;
- Gain and develop your soft skills in the fields of negotiation, diplomacy and consensus-building, amongst others;
- Visit diplomatic missions, and get an insight into the work of these institutions;
- Potentially meet your Head of State and government officials representing your country; Furthermore, 4 students are to present the 7th Model ASEM Chair’s Statement at the Opening Ceremony of the ASEM11.
The 7th Model ASEM will include 3 main components:
- Phase 1: An online pre-event phase (ca. 3 weeks) where the selected participants will join online pre-conference research and training modules which include individual tasks, excercises, case studies and team work;
- Phase 2: A 3-day conference in Ulaanbaatar filled with plenary sessions, working groups, practical trainings and visits to Diplomatic Missions of ASEM countries located in Ulaanbaatar. The participants will as a result of the conference develop a Chair’s Statement of the 7th Model ASEM;
- Phase 3: 4 student participants are to present the Chair’s Statement of the 7th Model ASEM to the ASEM Leaders and official attending the ASEM11. In agreement with the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a number of participating students will have the chance to meet their Heads of States on the sidelines of the ASEM11
Wednesday, 6 July – Sunday, 10 July 2016
Government House, and National University of Mongolia
Organised in conjunction with the 11th ASEM Summit (ASEM11).
- Citizens (passport holders) of any of the
- 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) countries.
- University students from all disciplines, between the ages of 18-30, with an interest in international relations
- The conference will be conducted in English only, and therefore requires strong verbal and written command of English by all participants.
- There is no registration or participation fee.
- The organisers will provide accommodation, meals and a travel subsidy for the selected participants.
For More Information: