Application Deadline: 5 p.m. PST on Friday, March 15, 2019.
Action Canada is about today’s leaders nurturing the next generation of leadership in Canada.
Each year we select up to 20 emerging leaders to become Action Canada Fellows. They are the top candidates from a nationwide call for applications, hailing from major cities and smaller communities such as Carcross, Yukon; Witless Bay, NL and Fermont, QC.
Many have university degrees, others have demonstrated leadership pursuing alternatives to post-secondary education. They represent all sectors, including business, NGOs, science, government, academia and the professions.
The application process for the Action Canada Fellowship will help identify the next cohort of Action Canada Fellows for 2019/2020. The process is designed to highlight the strengths and areas of improvement of the applicants as the newest cohort is selected.
The four goals of the Action Canada Fellowship are to:
- Enhance the participant’s understanding of Canada through the study tours
- Provide concrete tools to support the participant’s leadership skills and their ability to make a difference in Canada
- Strengthen the participant’s understanding of how policy is developed through a project related to the selected policy theme
- Create a network of enduring relationships among the participants and the alumni
- Record of leadership and/or achievement.
- Moral character, open-mindedness, energy, courage to learn new things and acquire new experiences.
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and interest in working with others.
- A passion for Canada; the potential to become a leader in Canada and the commitment to make a positive contribution to Canada.
- A noted interest in public policy and its importance as a tool for positive change.
The study tours for 2019/2020 will take place:
- Thursday, June 13 to Sunday, June 16, 2019
- Monday, August 19 to Sunday, August 25, 2019
- Wednesday, October 23 to Saturday, October 26, 2019
- Saturday, January 4 to Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Tuesday, March 3 to Friday, March 6, 2020
For an application to be considered, all of the elements must be included and completed by the deadline of March 15, 2019 at 5 p.m. PST. These include:
- Basic information about yourself
- A CV of up to three pages
- A letter of motivation detailing:
- The importance of the program for the current stage of your life;
- Your aspirations and plans for your future career and life;
- Your areas of need for development and improvement;
- The importance of civic engagement to you, and desire to make a contribution to Canada;
- Your ability to transform ideas into action;
- Your ability to respect and understand new and different perspectives in addressing public policy issues.
- The names and contact information of two individuals who will submit reference letters on your behalf. The webportal will automatically contact them to request the letters and it will be possible for you to see whether they have submitted them or not.
There are three steps to this process. All candidates will be informed of whether they have passed to the next round of the process or not.
1. Once the application window closes, the Action Canada team will sort through all of the completed applications and perform an initial evaluation based on the selection criteria.
The Action Canada team will invite selected candidates to submit a two-page essay on a public policy question by April 10, to be completed by April 24.
2. The Action Canada team will then evaluate the essay based on the selection criteria.
It will then invite selected candidates to a 30-minute online interview to take place on either May 10 or 11.
3. The selected candidates will interview with the National Selection Committee on May 10 and 11. The Committee will then recommend a final list of names to the presidents of the Public Policy Forum and Action Canada for selection as the cohort.
For More Information: