Application Deadline: September 12, 2016
The Fellowship for International Development Reporting encourages journalists to push the boundaries of daily foreign coverage – which is often focused on disaster or crisis – and set new standards for reporting on the developing world. Fellowship recipients are provided with $25,000 to undertake a substantial reporting project which helps Canadians develop a greater understanding of the complex issues facing the developing world.
The Fellowship has two objectives: to encourage ambitious foreign reporting during an era of tighter news budgets; and, to foster a community of Canadian journalists who share an interest in reporting original topics from the developing world.
The Fellowship for International Development Reporting is a joint initiative of the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) and Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC).
To become a Fellow for International Development Reporting, applicants must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Have at least five years of full-time work experience as a journalist (as a freelancer or staff)
- Have the commitment of a Canadian media outlet to publish/broadcast the proposed project in English and/or French, within one year of the applicant receiving the Fellowship
How to Apply
The application deadline is September 12, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Applicants to the Fellowship provide a package in English or French which outlines their proposed reporting project, including:
The reporting plan includes the story pitch and outlines how the research will be conducted. In no more than 750 words, applicants should describe:
- the proposed topic and angle;
- the potential impact of the story and why it is an important story to share with Canadians;
- how the research will be conducted, including basic travel plans and a timeline;
- how the project will be disseminated, including news outlet(s) and platform(s) – innovative digital media techniques, such as an interactive or multimedia component, will be considered an asset;
- how the project will be promoted through social media and other channels;
- and, why the applicant is best-qualified to undertake this project.
A detailed budget indicating how the Fellowship funds will be used, such as travel, accommodations, local support, and equipment rentals. (Equipment purchases are not eligible
Applications are accepted by email only. All attachments should be provided in PDF format, in English or French. Total attachment size should not exceed 10 megabytes per email.
Please email your package to email@example.com with “Application: Fellowship for International Development Reporting” as the subject line.
Applications are now open. The application deadline is September 12, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
For More Information: