Application closing date: 21 June 2016
Start date: August / September 2016
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe’s number one defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group – comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters – generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
To stay on top, Airbus Group recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging internship opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our internships give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus Group. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus Group and should benefit your future studies.
The Network Architecture Internship is based in the Military Infrastructure & Networks department. Airbus Defence and Space is a prime contractor for the designing and building of the complete Skynet 5 system. It has been delivered under the Skynet 5 Private Finance Initiative (PFI) contract signed in October 2003 and extended in March 2010, the UK MOD has procured satellite communications services from Airbus Defence and Space up to 2022.
This comprises of four Skynet 5 spacecraft as well as fixed and terrestrial infrastructure, networks and management systems in the UK. The technologically advanced, fully-hardened Skynet 5 satellites carry advanced UHF and SHF communications payloads. The ground systems delivered by Airbus Defence and Space as part of the Skynet 5 programme include tactical vehicle-mounted units and maritime vessels, capable of standing up to the rigours of all-terrain transport and operation in harsh environments.
Tasks & accountabilities
Main activities will include:
- Working closely with the Head of Architecture for Secure Communications, learning on the job at specific meetings and also on the job training.
- Working closely with the wider Network Architects team to develop the technical network capability based on customer requirements to support new technologies and opportunities.
- Assisting in the development of the business Network Engineering Strategy which will be tied to business strategy.
- Understanding how the Network Architects maintain network baselines, and ensure this is maintained.
- Spending time with different areas within Network Architecture team covering subjects such as: IP design, voice services, RF engineering, network security, product design and validation.
- Developing an understanding of engineering documentation, design review, Engineering change request and wider alignment with organisational process.
You must be an undergraduate for the full duration of the internship.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Currently studying towards a degree or equivalent qualification in an IT related subject.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good team working skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Customer focus to ensure Secure Communications customer relationships and satisfaction is maintained at all times.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
For More Information: