Andrew K. Burroughs Short-Term Training Fellowship Programme 2018
Application Deadline: 15 March 2018
The Short-Term Fellowship programme is directed at postgraduate investigators (both basic and clinical investigators) who intend to spend a limited amount of time (usually 3-6 months) at a foreign institution to accomplish a very focused research project, to learn an experimental procedure or methodology, or to get in-depth knowledge about a sophisticated, clinical diagnostic procedure not available at the Home Institution.
3,000 EUR per month will be provided. Neither travel support, nor bench fee reimbursement will be included.
Up to a maximum of 6 months, at the discretion of the reviewing committee, non-renewable
The hosting institution must be located in Europe, and at a different location from where the applicant is presently working,
- Candidates must be active EASL members or have applied for membership at the time of the application.
- Candidates must have a M.D. or Ph.D. degree and be no more than 40 years old.
- Hosting Institution shall be in a different country from the Home Institution in Europe
- No more than 1 application per hosting and home department will be considered during a period of 2 years following the grant allocation
- The research/clinical supervisor in the hosting institution must be EASL member but must not be member of the EASL Governing Board.
- No restriction on the applicant’s nationality
Applications ans Review Process:
- Application are submitted online at easl.eu in English during two application periods: 15 July – 15 September and 15 January – 15 March.
- The competitive admission process is held in various stages:
- Applications are reviewed by an ad hoc committee (2 members of the EASL Scientific Committee plus 2 external experts nominated by the EASL Scientific Committee)
- Final selection is made by the EASL Governing Board
- Reviewers are requested to provide detailed written feedback on the application. Scoring ranges from 1 to 20 points in a series of focus topics (total 60 points):
- Fellow qualifications (experience in clinical and/or basic research)
- Technical motivation
- Suitability of the hosting institution for providing the specific technical training
- Applicants are notified within three months from application on the selection outcome by email.
- In order to process applications, EASL will need to process the applicant’s personal data as provided in the application dossier. The applicant gives his/her consent to such control and processing of the applicant’s personal data. EASL will handle the applicant’s personal data in accordance with all applicable legislation and for the sole purpose of reviewing the candidate’s suitability for the present award.
Application should include:
- A detailed CV
- 2 reference letters (including one from the candidate’s senior mentor at the home institution)
- A project summary
- An official letter of support signed by the candidate’s supervisor at the hosting institution including a statement detailing how much of the design and research work will be done by the candidate and expected goals of the project.