Application Deadline: 23rd December 2017.
APN in collaboration with Vietnam Academy of Science & Technology (VAST) will hold a Proposal Development Training Workshop (PDTW) in Hanoi, Viet Nam from 28 February to 2 March 2018. The training workshop is designed to enhance the capacity of young scientists and practitioners in the Southeast Asia region to develop competitive project proposals for funding.
If you are a young researcher working in Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Viet Nam, and Thailand and interest in developing regional proposals, then this information is for you.
APN held 16 PDTW which trained 295 early-career scientists since 2008. As a result, over 10 proposals developed by trainees received APN funding through its annual calls for proposals. We believe this workshop will provide a great opportunity for early-career scientists to start their first regional research.
The PDTW is open to young scientists from Southeast Asia and working in the area(s) related to the main theme of the workshop. For this reason, applicants requiring funding support will ONLY be accepted from those young scientists/practitioners who are from, living and working in APN member countries of Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Viet Nam, and Thailand.
Young scientists/practitioners who wish to attend the workshop on a self-funded basis may apply and should be working in an area related to the main theme and with a focus on Southeast Asia, although he/she may be from any APN member or approved country.
To apply to participate in the PDTW, follow these steps:
- Complete and submit the online application form for the PDTW through the APN website
- Submit a short motivation essay (300-400 words). The best essay will address the following questions in a narrative style: (a) Why do you think this training workshop will be important to your career and what are the expected impacts?; (b) What are your research interests?; (c) Why are you motivated to undertake regional-based research?
- Submit your resume/CV (maximum 2 pages).
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your supervisor indicating: (a) Endorsement to attend the workshop; (b) How the training workshop will benefit your research career; (c) Commitment and consent as supervisor of the trainee to encourage the trainee to submit regional-based proposals (to APN or other funding bodies) and/or become engaged in regional-based research.
ELIGIBILITY and PROCEDURES
- Young/early-career scientists/practitioners under 40 years of age can apply for the PDTW (students/research assistants and post-docs are encouraged).
- He/she should be working in areas of, or have academic experience related to, the main theme of the workshop.
- He/she must be one of the following: (a) An undergraduate degree holder with five years of related working experience; (b) A postgraduate working towards a PhD or Master’s degree; (c) A Master’s degree holder with two years of related work experience; (d) A PhD degree holder; (e) A postdoctoral student.
- He/she must currently be affiliated to an academic or national/regional research institution.
- He/she must have a good working knowledge of the English language.
- A letter of recommendation from your supervisor and a motivation essay are required to be attached to the Application Form.
- Participants will be selected on a first come, first served basis.
- Those who intend to apply on a self-funded basis can be within or outside the sub-region, but their intended work must focus on the Southeast Asia Region and the applicant must be from one of APN’s member/approved countries.
- A maximum of 25 young/early-career scientists and practitioners will be selected for the training workshop. Based on the financial resources available, APN will financially support 15 young/early-career scientists/practitioners.
- From each sub-regional member country (Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Viet Nam, and Thailand), a maximum of two young/early-career scientists/practitioners will be selected as recipients of APN financial support.
- Sponsorship for successful applicants will cover the cost of economy class air tickets, accommodation and local transportation.
- Five self-funded participants will be selected based on their expertise and motivation to join the workshop. Self-funded participants are expected to arrange and pay for their travel, meal costs and accommodation.
- There is no registration fee to participate in this workshop.
For applicants who request full or partial funding support, the deadline is 23rd December 2017, 23:59:59 (JST). However, as applications will be treated on a first-come, first-served basis, early application is recommended.
For More Information: