11-22 July 2016 @ Asia-Europe Institute, University Of Malaya
The Korean Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (KISEAS), the Centre for ASEAN Regionalism University of Malaya (CARUM), the Asia-Europe Institute (AEI) will co-host the ASEAN Young Scholars (AYS) Workshop 2016 held at the Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya, supported by the ASEAN-ROK Cooperation Fund. The workshop consists of two weeks of intensive lectures and in-depth discussions, interspersed with a two-day lecture-tour to Malacca, Malaysia’s historical city, followed by a two-day International Conference on ASEAN Studies 2016 (ICONAS).
The workshop will focus on various aspects of Malaysia, with sessions led by local experts and scholars from different disciplines. In general, the workshop aims to deepen the participants’ understanding of Southeast Asia in general and Malaysia in particular, while at the same time providing a setting for academic interaction between Korean and Southeast Asian young scholars.
- To expose participants from ASEAN countries and Korea to current issues in Malaysia and the larger ASEAN, and to provide a platform for open discussion of these issues.
- To strengthen the relationship between ASEAN countries and Korea, while enhancing international mobility among students and academics of these countries.
- To foster closer ASEAN-Korea relations and to bridge gaps of understanding between different countries by exposing participants to fun-filled experiential learning, extracurricular activities, and network building in an international setting.
Theme: MULTIFACETED MALAYSIA
As this workshop focuses primarily on Malaysia, lecture topics will include Malaysian history, politics and governance, the nation’s economy, and its society, culture and traditions. There will also be a broader session on Malaysia’s position in the world.
Strong applicants should be:
- Southeast Asian and Korean residents
- MA/Ph.D. students, young academics, research staff, or independent researchers in the social sciences and humanities
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Involved or interested in Southeast Asian Studies and research
- Interested and eager to participate in multicultural interactions and discussions
- Preferably below 35 years old
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to submit a short essay (500 words) explaining why he or she is interested to participate in this workshop, to email@example.com by 20 May 2016.
Successful applicants will be officially notified by 6 June 2016 via email, along with other details.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the ASEAN Young Scholars Workshop 2016