Application Deadline:Monday, 3rd June 2019, midnight Bangkok time.
Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD ) is inviting young women from its member organisations to apply for the South-South Placement: Young Women’s Leadership Programme. This is an exciting opportunity for young feminist leaders from the Asia Pacific region to work at APWLD Secretariat and be part of our work advancing women’s human rights and global solidarity for Development Justice. It is a paid volunteer position with APWLD’s Women in Power (WiP) programme.
The South-South placement is designed with the following objectives:
- Increase members’ knowledge, capacity and ownership around regional and international programme work.
- Increase Secretariat’s understanding of national contexts and grassroots movements.
- Build the pool of feminist leaders and experts from developing countries in the region.
Duration and Key Tasks of the Placement
The successful applicant will be hosted at APWLD Secretariat in Chiang Mai, Thailand for the period of six to ten months. She will work closely with Programme Organising Committee members and Programme Officer for Women in Power with the following roles and responsibilities:
- Provide support in coordinating activities under the Women in Power programme such as the Regional Women Leaders’ Roundtable and Womanifesto.
- Provide assistance to research report on the State of Democracy in Asia Pacific, including communications outreach.
- Provide assistance to the design and execution of the second cycle of the Womanifesto Programme.
- Provide research assistance on other relevant advocacy opportunities related to the programme work.
- Assist with publication work in the WiP programme, including research and editing.
- Assist with logistical arrangements during WiP trainings and meetings.
- Collaborate with APWLD’s Communications team to produce content from the WiP programme activities for members & public consumption such as Op-Ed, blog post and interviews.
- Other tasks as required.
- Staff, advocate, volunteer, close affiliate or member of APWLD member organisations from developing countries in the Asia Pacific Region, and must be recommended by that organisation. (To check whether your organisation is a member of APWLD please refer to: http://apwld.org/about-apwld/our-members/).
- Young woman (below 35 years of age at the time of application) who has not held an executive position within the organisation.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in women’s movement at local or national level without significant exposure to international and regional level experiences.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding on women’s rights and development in Asia Pacific, with a focus on grassroots democratic movements and women’s human rights.
- Commitment and availability for the placement for a minimum of six months period.
- Proficient in English, both oral and written.
- Proficient in ICT skills including social media.
- A written commitment or agreement with the recommending national organisation to work (as a paid staff or on voluntary basis) for a double period on her return (e.g. If the placement was for six months, return services should be for a year).
APWLD will cover the cost of a round trip airfare to/from Chiang Mai, and visa fee for the successful applicant. A small stipend (USD 800 per month, for six – ten months) will be provided to cover living, housing and other miscellaneous costs during the placement.
In case the volunteer and the member organisation endorsing the placement wish to extend the duration of their work at APWLD Secretariat, the additional costs may be shared by APWLD and the member organisation. The role and other detailed arrangements for the extended placement will be agreed between the two organisations.
The volunteer is expected to start her work in July 2019.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Completed Application Form
- Endorsement letter from APWLD member organisation
These documents are to be submitted with the subject line “Application for South-South Placement” to Madhura Chakraborty at firstname.lastname@example.org
For More Information: