The Robert D. Beckmann, Jr. Emerging Artist Fellowship Program
Application Deadline: June 22, 2018
The Robert D. Beckmann, Jr. Emerging Artist Fellowship Program awards two $3,500 fellowships each year to qualified and talented artists in music, dance, theatre, literature, media and/or the visual arts. The program consists of two distinct components. The first component, a monetary award in the amount of $3,500, will be awarded for supplies, instruction, workshops, studio or rehearsal space, or other uses specifically related to the growth and development of the artist’s artistic work. In addition to the grant, the fellows will receive professional development and growth opportunities through the Arts Council of Indianapolis. The Robert D. Beckmann, Jr. Emerging Artist Fellowship program seeks to introduce and provide experiences, connections, and relationships with professional arts institutions and professional artists in central Indiana.
Read through these eligibility requirements carefully. These are general eligibility requirements. Each individual’s situation is different. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make the case in the application for meeting the eligibility requirements.
- You must currently reside in one of the following counties: Marion, Morgan, Boone, Hamilton, Hendricks, Hancock, Johnson, or Shelby County.
- You must be pursuing a professional career in the arts (in the fields of dance, theatre, music, literature, or visual arts) and must have been working in the arts for at least one year (not necessarily with the same art form).
- You must reside in one of the counties listed above for at least two years following the conclusion of the fellowship activities. The Arts Council realizes that, as an emerging artist, it is possible that your career may take you out of the area following your award period. We do hope that, at minimum, this award encourages Beckmann Fellows to maintain a
connection to the area and continue enriching the community regardless of where your career takes you.
Restrictions from Funding
Read through these restrictions carefully and tailor your application appropriately.
- Funds cannot be used for tuition or tuition expenses at any college, university, or degreegranting institution.
- Funds cannot be re-granted or redistributed to any other person, organization, or entity.
- Funds cannot be used for debt reduction, debt elimination, student loans, penalties, or litigation costs.
Amount of Fellowship Awards
The amount of the fellowship awards are determined by the funds bequeathed to the Arts Council by Robert D. Beckmann, Jr. Therefore, two (2) fellowships in the amount of $3,500 will be awarded each year. Payments will be made in two installments only: $2,500 and $1,000 according to the schedule under Fellowship Agreement on page 4. Each fellowship recipient will be required to submit an IRS W-9 form so that an IRS 1099 income statement can be issued by the Arts Council
for the fellow’s tax records. All taxes and reporting of taxes will be the responsibility of the fellowship recipient.
For More Information: