BuzzFeed Emerging Writers Fellowship 2018 for emerging writers – New York, USA ($14,000 Stipend)
Application Deadline: December 4th, 2017
Ideal candidates for the BuzzFeed Emerging Writers Fellowship must have ambitious ideas and a proven desire to publish cultural criticism, personal essays, and reported pieces that create an impact on cultural conversations. The three writers selected for the fellowship will work with BuzzFeed News’ senior editorial staff; this is a full-time position based in BuzzFeed’s New York office. The work produced during the fellowship will be published on BuzzFeed. Fellows will receive a stipend of $14,000.
Please submit the following materials by December 4th, 2017, using this form; we do not accept email submissions. Applications will be considered by a committee of BuzzFeed editors and staff writers. Writers accepted into the fellowship will be notified in late January; the fellowship is four months long and will start on March 5, 2018 and end on June 29. Current and former BuzzFeed employees may not apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and cannot currently be enrolled in school.
1) Resume or CV.
2) 3-5 articles or essays you feel are representative of your best work; work from unpublished manuscripts is fine, too. You may link to them directly or upload them as attachments.
3) Statement of purpose (3–5 pages in length). Please attach your Statement below where the application asks for “Cover Letter.” Please explain in detail, in separate sections:
- If given this opportunity, what are 2–3 story ideas you are passionate about pursuing? The fellowship will focus on personal essays, cultural criticism, and reported essays usually under 4,000 words, and pitches should reflect this mix.
- Why should you be the writer to pursue these stories? And what are the stakes of these stories being told, or not?
- Give 3–5 examples of cultural reporting, personal essays, features, or books from contemporary writers who have had an impact on your work. What specifically did you learn from each piece?
- What support would help you move forward in your career? What aspects of writing and cultural reporting are you eager to learn more about?
- What are your long-term career ambitions?
4) Two letters of recommendation: Please include the email addresses of your references in the option provided in the application. While your references needn’t all be from professional or academic contacts, they should attest to your standout potential, work ethic, and ability to pursue ambitious ideas and make an impact on cultural conversations.
Writers accepted into the fellowship will be notified in
late January. The fellowship will begin on March 5 and end on June 29, 2018
For More Information: