Application Deadline: 31 August 2016.
Within the framework of the “Greek-Turkish Young Leaders Partnership Initiative”, the CIES is organizing the 2nd Greek-Turkish Young Leaders Symposium (GTYLS) on Security. It is geared towards young Greek and Turkish International Relations professionals to provide a forum for study, dialogue and networking.
The CIES aims to ensure that tomorrow’s political, business, social and academic elites construct a framework which makes dialogue a key and requisite component of the relationship and build trust between two countries. The focus of the 2nd GTYLS will focus on the results of NATO’s Warsaw Summit, held on 8-9 July 2016, in particular by exploring NATO’s adaptation to the new security environment and how Greece and Turkey could cooperate to address the challenges it presents.
The Greek-Turkish Young Leaders Symposium (GTYLS) on Security will be organized with the participation of 15 Turkish and 15 Greek International Relations specialists (MA Students, PhD Candidates, young PhD scholars and professionals), aged 22-35 years old, on 19-23 October 2016 in Istanbul in partnership with the Thessaloniki-based Navarino Network. It includes sessions on “The New Security Challenges”, “NATO’s Policy Priorities: NATO Warsaw Summit”, and “Deciphering Warsaw: How Greece and Turkey Can Contribute?” as well as “Peer to Peer Workshop” facilitated by expert trainers where participants will be taught to work together to produce collaborative project proposals.
Please note that the language of the Symposium is English.
Participants are expected to meet the criteria listed below:
- International Relations Specialists (MA Students in IR, PhD Candidates in IR, young PhD scholars and professionals)
- 22-35 years of age
- An interest in the areas of security, NATO’s priorities and policies, and Greek-Turkish relations
- Willing to establish networks and dialogue between Greece and Turkey
- Fluent spoken and written English
- The organizers will cover round trip airfare from Athens/Thessaloniki to Istanbul; accommodation in twin rooms (two persons sharing one room) in Istanbul (for those not based in Istanbul) for the duration of the Symposium (4 nights including breakfast); lunch for 4 days; and two dinners.
- Please note that although the Symposium is open to participants from all parts of Turkey and Greece and they are especially encouraged to apply, the organizers will only provide for air travel between Athens/Thessaloniki and Istanbul.
- The CIES may provide on a need basis a small travel stipend for those attending the Symposium from elsewhere in Turkey.
In order to apply, please send your CV and a brief explanation (maximum 200 words) indicating why you are qualified to take part in the Symposium to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 August 2016.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Simla Yavaş, the CIES Projects Coordinator.
Contact: Simla Yavaş
0212 533 65 32 / 4608
For More Information: