Application Deadline: 02/01/2016
Future Worlds Center is inviting youth from all over Europe to participate in a global initiative that aims to reinvent a new system of governance by proposing new and innovative actions. The initiative aims to engage youth in both physical and virtual meetings with the first physical meeting taking place in Cyprus in February 2016
Reinventing Democracy in the Digital Era is a two-year project funded by the United Nations Democracy Fund that is being coordinated by Future Worlds Center (FWC) in Cyprus with the assistance of local partners Talents Coaching & Consulting Kenya Ltd in Kenya, Kwansei Gakuin University in Japan and the National University of Patagonia in Argentina.
The key objective is to increase youth participation in democratic governance by empowering young people from across the world to invent and propose new, innovative and concrete actions.
The initiative will engage more than 1100 young people from across the world to contribute with ideas (face-to-face and virtually, using ICT tools and the structured dialogue methodology) to create and implement regional action plans, and collectively author an e-book and a Manifesto for 21st Century Democracy:
- The project will work both at a regional and a global level; at first by bringing together participants at a regional level and then later at a global level with virtual meetings.
The particular regional event refers to the European Initiative.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
1. Sharing the experiences and outcomes from European SDD Co-laboratories with youth activists from other continents and develop a joint understanding of root causes for the lack of youth participation in official democratic processes;
2. Engaging 100 young participants from around the globe in regional SDD Co-laboratories during which they will design solutions for the key root causes previously identified, and thus contribute to the development of new and innovative systems of governance;
3. Empowering the young participants to take action and promote their very own ideas and solutions, both within their local community as well as on a broader national/ international level;
4. Utilize the broad range of ICT tools available to young people, such as social media, videos, etc. to build a wide platform for Reinventing Democracy – accessible to young people from around the world
PROFILE OF PARTICIPANTS
a) Representatives of NGOs and informal groups OR representatives of formal education, non-formal & administrative bodies working with youth
b) Youth workers
c) 18-30 years old
d) 2 years volunteer/professional experience in an a non-profit, for-profit or hybrid organization (preferred but not obligatory)
e) Very good level of both spoken and written English
- Able to identify 10 participants that will virtually contribute with their ideas to the objectives of the project through social media and ICT-based technologies;
- Participate in the structured dialogue co-Laboratory in Cyprus
- Participate in 3 regional webinars and two global webinars
- Contribute ideas for a global e-book
- Contribute ideas for the Manifesto for 21st Century Democracy
- Contribute ideas using social media, ICT-based technologies.
- 50 Proposals for Action towards designing ideal future systems of governance
- A collectively authored e-book
- Manifesto for 21st Century Democracy: “Requirements of a new system of democracy”established
- Creation and implementation of a regional plan for action
- Future Worlds Center, Cyprus : www.futureworldscenter.org
- The training course will be conducted in English
- Deadline to apply: 02/01/2016
- Feedback on application status: 09/01/2016
- First regional webinar*: 18/01/2015
- Structured dialogue co-Laboratory date: 08-12/02/2016
- Venue of the structured dialogue co-Laboratory: Platres, Cyprus
- 1st global webinar*: June 2016
- 2nd global webinar*: March 2017 *
- The dates of the 2nd and 3rd regional webinars and the dates of the global webinars will be announced at a later stage.
HOW TO APPLY
To participate please fill in the online application below: