Application Deadline: January 15, 2018
CCAI’s Foster Youth Internship (FYI) Program® is a highly esteemed congressional internship for young adults who spent time in the foster care system. The FYI Program began in 2003 as an effort to raise awareness to federal policymakers about the needs and unique perspectives of those who spent time in foster care. As part of the program, CCAI organizes retreats, advocacy trainings and various networking opportunities with experts in the child welfare field. Throughout the summer, the FYI Program interns spend time researching about policy issues affecting foster children across the country. These experiences allow the interns to create a policy report that is presented at a congressional briefing and released to child welfare advocates across the country.
While participating in the program, federal policymakers are shown firsthand the experiences of youth in foster care, and as a result go on to use their new knowledge to inspire legislative change. Interns participating in this program benefit both personally and professionally, gaining experience and skills that will bolster their careers for years to come and with a foundation to be lifelong advocates for improving the foster care system.
CCAI’s FYI Program interns are selected because they display both the interest and skill necessary to become an effective advocate for change. The FYI Program is uniquely designed to develop and strengthen these advocacy skills as well as provide opportunities to pursue careers in federal policy and other prestigious fields after graduation. Interns are given an inside look at the federal legislative process and an opportunity to play an active role in developing federal policy. The FYI Program interns have found this experience to be invaluable to their efforts to secure jobs after college.
How to Apply:
- Are you interested in the Foster Youth Internship Program®? Apply today to become one of twelve college students or recent graduates who intern for a Member of Congress in Washington, D.C. and make an impact on federal child welfare policy.
- Do you know an extraordinary young person who qualifies for the Foster Youth Internship Program®? Encourage them to apply!
- The dates for the 2018 Foster Youth Internship Program are May 29 – July 27, 2018.
- All application materials must be received by Monday, January 15, 2018 at 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time.
- CCAI must receive the completed application (including the application form, resume, transcript, essay, short answer questions, two letters of recommendation and two recommendation forms) by this date. All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision whether you will move forward to the interview phase by February 2, 2018.
- All applicants will know of their acceptance into the Foster Youth Internship Program® by February 16, 2018.
For More Information: