Application Deadline: May 31st 2016
CIMB Data Science Challenge 2016 is a competition organised by CIMB Group for Malaysians studying in universities based in Malaysia. This competition was developed as part of our efforts to identify aspiring Data Scientists who would thrive in the world of Business Analytics.
The competition aims to develop talents in the area of Business Analytics by providing participants with real-world challenges and constraints faced by the banking industry. It requires participating teams to solve real business problems using business intelligence rather than intuition, thus developing their skills to predict future business trends with reasonable accuracy and making informed decisions through analytics.
CIMB Data Science Challenge will test participants’ application and knowledge of data preparation and data mining.
Participating teams will need to:
i. Develop creative and effective data analytics and marketing strategies to strengthen CIMB’s ability to cross-sell products and deepen customer relationships by creating propensity/ predictive models and/or segmentation framework.
ii. Propose business solutions that address revenue growth challenges faced by CIMB.
The duration of the competition is 2 days. During this period, the following items will be provided:
• General information about the competition
• Storyline case study and dataset
• Description and information about the dataset
• Results template
• Evaluation criteria and allocation of marks
• A computer notebook
Each team will have to solve the case scenario and prepare the following:
• 2 page summary report of the methodology , workflow and outcome
• EXCEL workbook of final results
• Team presentation
How it works
Step 1: Form a team of 3 and record a 2-minute (maximum length) video of your team describing the following:
i. Each team member to introduce himself/herself – name, university, year and field of study.
ii. Why you want to participate in this Challenge.
iii. Why your team should be shortlisted.
iv. If your team wins the first prize of RM12,000, what you would do with the prize money.
Step 2: Register here by 31May 2016.
Step 3: Attend the e-learning and workshop.
Step 4: Solve the challenge which will be held on 6 & 7 August 2016 (Saturday & Sunday) in Cyberjaya.
- 5 May – 31 May 2016 Registration
- 6 June – 21 July 2016 : e-learning (worth RM8,800 each) for shortlisted teams
- 11 July – 28 July 2016 : Workshop on problem solving methodology and case study (1 day)
- 6 August – 7 August 2016: Competition & Prize Giving (2 days)
Venue: MSC Malaysia K-Workers Development Centre (KDC), Cyberjaya
For More Information: