Application Deadline: Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 13:00 CET.
- Youth Participation in Internet Governance Seminar Strasbourg, 24-26 October 2017
The seminar “Youth participation in Internet Governance” will explore how participation of young people in shaping the Internet can be ensured without reproducing and creating new patterns of exclusion and will formulate recommendations for future action to be taken by the Youth Department of the Council of Europe in order to support young people and their organisations meaningful participation in Internet Governance processes.
The three day programme will aim to provide a space for participants to learn about the topic of the seminar, to share from their practices and experience, to identify challenges and opportunities and work towards a common approach and actions. The programme will therefore include plenary presentations and several working group sessions.
- to develop a shared understanding of youth participation in Internet governance and analyse the achievements and pitfall of current youth participation in these processes;
- to critically review the ways youth participation in Internet Governance is reflected in youth policy and envisage ways it should be;
- to further explore what are the rights, the means, the spaces, the opportunities and the support required by young people in order to meaningfully participate in the shaping of the Internet;
- to share experiences of youth participation in Internet governance fora and online youth participation at local/national/ international level, and reflect on the successes and pitfalls;
to elaborate policy and programme recommendations for the Youth Department and the Council of Europe that aim to support and enhance youth participation in Internet Governance.
Programme and methodology
The three day programme will aims to provide a space for participants to learn about the topic of theseminar, to share from their practices and experience, to identify challenges and opportunities andwork towards a common approach and actions. The programme will therefore include plenary presentations and several working group sessions.
- are representatives of national youth councils and national youth organisations already involved or motivated to become involved in national Internet Governance processes;
- are representatives of local/national/international youth organisations and networks actively involved in matters of youth policy and youth participation;
- are representatives of public authorities involved in Internet governance fora at national and/ or international level;
- representatives of Internet services, online gaming, and other companies interested in further development of Internet governance and youth participation;
- show clear motivation to follow up the seminar with measures to ensure youth participation in Internet governance matters and fora;
- are able to work autonomously in English language;
- are resident in a state party to the European Cultural Convention, exceptions are possible;are able to attend the entire duration of the seminar.
- Participants’ costs in respect to travel and visa will be covered by the Council of Europe Youth Department by bank transfer after the seminar given that the rules of the Council of Europe are strictly observed.
- Participants will be insured by the Council of Europe during travel and participation in the conference.
- All interested candidates are requested to duly complete the application form at http://youthapplications.coe.int together with all relevant support documents.
- Deadline for applications : The deadline for applications is Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 13:00 CET.
- Practical information
For More Information: