Application Deadline: March 8th 2017 13:00:00 GMT/UTC
Do you have an idea for a great data journalism project that could impact on local communities or tackle topics related to people’s rights and freedom in ASEAN countries? Are you a media organization eager to learn about data journalism, visualizations and how to future-proof (sustainability) your work? This three weeks programme will help you realize a data-driven project from start to finish and learn new skills along the way.
The aim of this call for applications is to select 12 media organizations from ASEAN countries, and for each of them, support the realization of a data-driven project (article/data story, data visualization or other interactive), through a workshop and training programme taking place between May and October 2017. After the end of this programme, you must have set up at least one digital project, attract new public (widen the target audience) with data driven articles and increase your audience using data visualization.
- Media organizations based in ASEAN countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Applicants who are fluent in English (although the project itself can be realized in your local language).
- Applicants of all levels in data journalism.
- This programme is a great opportunity for your media organization to gain new skills in every aspects of data journalism.
- By the end of the three workshops, you will achieve a data journalism project from start to finish with help from international experts.
- Your staff will get to meet other journalists from various countries in Asean countries and learn from their experiences.
- Submitting a project and taking part in the programme is free, so why not giving it a try?
Schedule and key dates
Launch date: 07 February 2017
Online platform application deadline: 8 March 2017 (1pm GMT, no extension)
Announcement of selected candidates: 21 March 2017
– First workshop: How to kickstart a data journalism project
How do you collect, find and understand data? This first workshop will tackle basic data journalism techniques and teach you how to launch a data-driven project in your newsroom.
Date: beginning of May 2017 (5 days).
Location: Phnom Penh (Cambodia).
– Second workshop: How to bring a project to life with data visualization and interactives
Acquire the skills to create data visualizations and other data-driven interactives and apply them to your own project.
Date: beginning of July 2017 (5 days)
Location: Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
– Third workshop: How to future-proof a data journalism project
Tackle subjects such as monetization, viability and community interaction to ensure your project is impactful and sustainable in the long term.
Date: mid-October 2017 (5 days)
Location: Manila (Philippines)
Please note that these dates are provisional. CFI reserves the possibility to modify this schedule on the basis of received applications.
For More Information: