Application Deadline- May 6, 2018
Democracy Now! Fellowships are paid, full-time, temporary work placements to help early career digital media professionals develop skills and gain experience in a daily live TV news environment. All fellowships take place at our Manhattan studio where we produce our daily news hour.
Democracy Now! is currently accepting applications for our Social Media Fellowship.
Democracy Now! staff provide one-on-one mentorship and supervision to help Fellows maximize their exposure to a fast-paced newsroom and develop strong online and social publishing practices.
A successful Social Media Fellow will thrive in a deadline-driven daily news environment and be passionate about expanding the audience for Democracy Now!’s news and supporting its non-commercial, independent news mission.
Strong candidates will demonstrate proven news judgment and high ethical standards and be avid news consumers on social media. Fellows are encouraged to suggest innovation and improvements to our social media program based on their outside experience and current digital news trends. A love of podcasts, GIFs and video editing skills are a plus, but not required.
The workday begins as early as 7:00am ET to coincide with the live daily TV & radio newscast at 8:00am ET.
1 year, beginning August 2018
- Assist with daily drafting, copyediting and posting stories from our daily news hour and from our archives to Democracy Now!’s social media channels
- Help monitor social media and trending news items
- Assist with promoting special programming, events and fundraising campaigns
- Online outreach to influencers, publishers, journalists and organizations to circulate our interviews and coverage
- Supervise the work of interns in drafting and publishing content
- Identify areas for innovation and improvement
- Assist with monthly reporting and analytics.
- 1-3 years experience with proven results in social media and digital journalism
- Avid news consumer on social media
- Strong proofreading skills, detail-oriented and can meet daily deadlines
- Deep knowledge of existing and emerging social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, SoundCloud, Tumblr, StumbleUpon and Reddit
- Experience maintaining social presence and strategy for a news outlet in a collaborative environment
- Commitment to the mission of Democracy Now!
- Creative, flexible and comfortable with the pressures of a live news environment
- Video/audio/image editing experience preferred
- Knowledge of HTML, Photoshop & Adobe After Effects experience preferred.
Applicants must have a valid US work authorization and be available to work full-time in New York City for the duration of the one-year fellowship.
Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply:
- A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
- The names and contact information for two references
- A cover letter that addresses the following points
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- How did you discover Democracy Now!?
For More Information: