East-West Center Changing Faces Women’s Leadership Seminar 2017 for Female Entrepreneurs
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Study Destinations: Honolulu, Kona, and Hilo, Hawaii
The 2017 Changing Faces Women’s Leadership Seminar will focus on the important role that innovation and entrepreneurship play in contributing to economic growth, job creation, and strengthening communities. During this 12-day professional training, dialogue and travel program, participants will engage in a series of workshops focused on leadership and entrepreneurship facilitated by a noted women’s leadership trainer and the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Participants also expand their knowledge of entrepreneurship, economic growth, leadership, and community building through carefully selected field visits and meetings with experts, practitioners, business owners, and policymakers in Hawaii. Participants are individually matched with local women leaders in a Host Mentor program and, in return, Changing Faces participants acted as mentors for a select group of high school students from a local all-girls school.
The Changing Faces Seminar also provides training and consultative sessions to help participants develop and actualize a concrete Action Plan for the betterment of their business or their community. Finally Changing Faces women will serve as panelist, moderators and attendees at the publicly ticketed #galswithLEI, a purposeful, collaborative, and dynamic forum.
- The Changing Faces Seminar targets female business owners and social entrepreneurs who have demonstrated leadership and ability to affect change and influence others in their communities.
- Innovative entrepreneurs, business managers, government and industry policymakers, and civil society leaders with at least seven years of work experience and who play a leadership role in their community are eligible to apply.
- Innovators may generally be defined as those who have created an original idea or product or are recognized for their ability to improve upon an original idea or system.
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate in English in a professional setting.
- Preference is given to candidates with limited opportunities for international exchange and professional development as well as those who have offered to cost-share programmatic costs.
- A phone interview may be conducted with finalists.
- The 2017 Changing Faces Women’s Leadership Seminar is funded by the East-West Center and individual scholarships made possible by alumni of the seminar and others. EWC plus individual scholarships will fund eight to ten women from the U.S. and the Asia Pacific region, defined here as: Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Tonga, and Vietnam. EWC and scholardship funding covers lodging and meals on Oahu and Hawaii Island, local ground transportation, interisland airfare to Hawaii Island, and other programmatic costs.
- Participants are responsible for their roundtrip airfare to and from Honolulu, visa fees, health insurance, and baggage charges.
- EWC encourages additional participant cost-sharing of programmatic costs and considers cost-sharing in the selection of applicants.
The seminar fee covers the following programmatic costs:
- Interisland airfare from Oahu to Hawaii Island
- Ground transportation and airport transfers
- Lodging in Honolulu and Kona for 12 days
- Provided program meals and a modest per diem
- Pro-rated speaker honorariums and training workshops
- Individually tailored host mentorship
- Cultural activities and networking opportunities
- Seminar flash drive of program documents, speaker PowerPoint presentations and photos
- Participant resource materials
- Experienced facilitators with knowledge of regional and women’s leadership issues
All applicants must complete an application form. Please download the PDF application form and save it before filling it out.
In addition to the completed application form, applicants must also provide the following:
- Letter of Interest (maximum three pages) including:
- A brief description of your company/organization and your role
- What you expect to contribute to and gain from participating in Changing Faces
- Concrete example(s) of your professional leadership and innovation, as defined above
- Demonstrated potential for impact within your community
- Identify an actionable goal for either for your organization or community that you wish to work on and outline the role you can or would like to play in achieving that goal. *NOTE* This will serve as the basis of your Action Plan for the coming year. For more information about the Action Plan, click here.
- Resume/CV (maximum two pages)
- Two Professional Letters of Recommendation describing your suitability for the seminar. The letters should be signed and on letterhead.
For More Information: