Application Deadline: 11 December 2015.
The Focus on Society competition is an opportunity to be creative by using photography to explore the relevance of social science to your life. Your photo should fall into one of the five categories. In addition to your image we’d also like you to supply an imaginative title and explain the social science behind it in a supporting statement of up to 100 words.
By entering the competition you are deemed to accept the following competition rules and the terms and conditions.
You must submit a supporting statement, of up to 100 words, explaining how your image relates both to the entered category and to the social sciences. This information will be given equal consideration, alongside the image, during the judging process.
- The Focus on Society competition is open to all UK-resident young people aged 14-18, born between 1 September 1997 and 31 August 2001. This competition is not open to ESRC staff or their immediate family.
- Entry to the competition is free.
- All entries must relate to one of the categories, details of which are listed on the categories page.
- All photos entered must be entered under an individual’s name.
- We reserve the right to reject any entries which we deem to be offensive or unsuitable.
- The ESRC Focus on Society photographic competition closes at 23.00 on 11 December 2015.
- Prize-winners only will be notified by 12 February 2016.
- Photographers of other exhibited images will be advised by 19 February 2016.
- The winners of each of the categories, overall winner and judges’ favourite image will be announced at the ESRC prize giving awards event.
- Prize winners and photographers of exhibited images will be invited to attend a private viewing and prize giving awards event to be held in central London on 15 March 2016 by 4 March 2016.
How to enter
- All entries must relate to the category in which they are entered.
- Each photograph must have a unique file name when it is uploaded in the format: initial_surname_image title.jpg (eg A_Smith_FamilyPicnic.jpg).
- Entrants are able to submit up to three photographs in the competition. Each photograph may only be submitted once. You are able to enter your photographs in just one category, or spread across two or three of the five categories.
- Each photograph must be submitted with a title and supporting statement of up to 100 words, which demonstrates how the image relates to the category and the social sciences. This statement will be scored by the judges alongside your image.
- Entires must only be submitted online. Prints or entries received via email or disc are not permitted and will not be entered into the competition.
Digital image criteria
- Only digital photograph entries submitted via the online form will be accepted.
- Photographs should meet a minimum file size of 1Mb and a maximum file size of 20Mb.
- The minimum accepted image resolution is 250dpi.
- All entries must be submitted as a .jpg or .tif only and must not be submitted from film stills.
- All winning entrants will be required to supply their image in a high resolution format for print and publicity purposes.
For More Information: