Application Deadline: 7 March 2019, 17:00
The Clinical Research and Product Development Fellowship scheme is jointly implemented by EDCTP and TDR, the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases
Researchers from sub-Saharan Africa who are involved in clinical research activities have limited opportunities to acquire experience and develop skills outside an academic or public sector setting for conducting clinical trials that adhere to stringent regulatory standards. As a result, there are few researchers and clinical staff from sub-Saharan Africa assuming leading roles in clinical research for poverty-related diseases (PRDs). The development of human research capacities through these fellowships will lead to enhanced and sustainable research competency in Africa on diagnostics, drugs and vaccines for PRDs, and support career progression and retention of researchers in sub-Saharan Africa.
The purpose of this Call for Proposals is to provide funding towards actions that aim to support researchers and key members of clinical trial research teams from sub-Saharan Africa to acquire specific skills in clinical research and development through placements in pharmaceutical companies, PDPs and CROs.
The scheme targets junior to mid-career researchers or clinical staff (clinicians, pharmacists, medical statisticians, data managers, other health researchers) who are employed by a legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa where they are currently working on clinical research and clinical trials in the scope of the EDCTP2 programme*. EDCTP supports research team members who are employed by a legal entity in a sub-Saharan African country. Placements are for a period of 15 months (3 months will be used to prepare for the placement), following which there will be a re-integration period of 6 months.
A proposal will only be considered eligible if:
- its content corresponds, wholly or in part, to the topic/contest description for which it is submitted
- it complies with the eligibility conditions set out below, depending on the type of action:
- The applicant must be a legal entity established in sub-Saharan Africa and must be the home organisation employing the fellow**.
- The fellow must:
- be a post-graduate (MSc or PhD) or medical graduate with clinical and/or research experience in infectious diseases;
- have obtained their post graduate or medical graduate degree within 15 years of submission of the application;
- be a researcher or clinical staff member employed for the last 12 months in an organisation with a registered legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa, and who has been conducting clinical research activities in the scope of the EDCTP2 programme;
- provide a letter of support from the home organisation for the fellowship which is justifying the training needs of the fellow and explaining how the home organisation will benefit from the fellowship and how the reintegration of the fellow will be ensured***;
- not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before****.
- Placements sought shall be for a period of 15 months, following which there will be a re-integration period of up to 6 months
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed EUR 100,000
- The application must be submitted online via EDCTPgrants
- Only registered users of EDCTPgrants system can apply for grants and therefore you are advised to register on the system as soon as possible.
For More Information: