Application Deadline: Deadline: January 16, 2017
New Europe College, Institute for Advanced Study in the humanities and social sciences in Bucharest, Romania announces a Call for Applications for its newly launched GERDA HENKEL Fellowships. The program targets young researchers / academics working in the fields of humanities (in particular archaeology, art history, historical Islamic studies, history, history of law, history of science, prehistory and early history) from the following countries: Afghanistan, Belarus, China (only Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.
NEC provides an attractive meeting and working place for scholars from all around the world who wish to pursue a meaningful project of their own while also meeting with peers from other disciplines. It supports its fellows by providing excellent conditions for their work and by establishing a strong and productive network among academics and intellectuals in the country and beyond. The institute has acquired a unique position in the region and has established itself as a research center of international reputation.
- Hold a Ph.D. title in the fields of the historical humanities mentioned above;
- Be citizen of one of the above mentioned countries.
International research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic editions are strong advantages.
Preference will be given to candidates below the age of 45, and to those who have not yet benefited from a Fellowship at NEC.
Fellows are entitled to:
- A monthly stipend of 750 € (tax free) to cover living expenses related to the stay in Bucharest;
- Accommodation in Bucharest, comprising living quarters and working space. The Fellows will also have free access to the NEC library and electronic resources/databases;
- Travel from the home country to Bucharest and back, visa and insurance costs (up to 1000 €);
- Research field trip abroad during the fellowship period – up to 1,500 € (a one-time allowance);
- Research expenses (100 € / month).
Candidates are welcome to apply with projects on topics of their choice for:
- One academic year: October 2017 – July 2018 (10 months);
- One term: October 2017 – February 2018 / March – July 2018 (5 months).
The selected Fellows are expected to take part in the weekly seminars at the institute together with all the other Romanian and international scholars present at NEC, and in other scientific events organized by the institute. Fellows have the opportunity to benefit from NEC’s widespread international research network and its high-quality guest lecturers program. The institute’s working languages are English, French, and German; a good command of English is required. Fellows are assisted in all practical matters concerning travel, residence, and research in Bucharest. Toward the end of their stay, they are required to document the outcomes of their work in a scholarly paper (in English, French, or German).
Submission of application:
Applications have to be submitted following the guidelines and using the form available here:
Applications will be submitted in electronic format only, to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates are asked to enter in the Subject field of their e-mail message “Gerda Henkel Fellowship”.