GIST Technology Idea Competition 2019
Application Deadline- November 23, 2018.
The U.S. Department of State is excited to announce the launch of the 2019 Global Innovation through Science and Technology, Technology Idea (GIST Tech-I) competition
GIST Tech-I is a global pitching competition which seeks to identify and select, train, and encourage innovations by young scientists and great minds all over the world. As part of the GIST initiative, Tech-I works to empower young innovators to build businesses that address economic and development challenges.
This year citizens from 132 countries and emerging economies spanning Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America are eligible to apply with an innovative science and technology idea or startup in any sector.
Applicants are required to explain the science and technology driving their project and describe their business strategy in an online application. They must also provide a 90-second pitch video to showcase their innovation and excite viewers about their project’s potential.
Up to 100 applicants will be selected as semi-finalists who will then have their pitch videos featured online and voted on by the public. These votes will help to select 24 finalists who will receive an all-expense paid trip to Bahrain to pitch their ventures to a global audience at the 2019 Global Entrepreneurship Congress (GEC).
During the GEC, these amazing up-and-coming innovators will receive intensive skills training, mentorship, and networking access to global leaders in their fields. Winners of GIST Tech-I will receive seed capital prizes.
The total prize pot will be $36,000 USD; the individual breakdown of prize funds will be announced closer to the Tech-I finals. All finalists will receive up to three months of mentoring following the finals.
Individuals have to meet ALL of the following eligibility:
- Individuals have to meet ALL of the following eligibility:
- The applicant must be aged 18-40 years old at on the day of the application deadline.
- The applicant must be a citizen of at least one of the 132 GIST Tech-I-eligible emerging economies (full list here).
- The applicant must not hold dual-citizenship or permanent resident status in a non-GIST economy.
- The applicant must not submit more than one application per GIST Tech-I competition year.
- The applicant must not be a previous GIST Tech-I finalist who traveled to and competed in the GIST Tech-I Finals.
How to Apply
- You will need to log into your GIST Network account before applying. If you do not have a GIST Network account, you will be able to make one through this application.
- Once you are logged into your GIST Network account, proceed to the 2019 GIST Tech-I application by clicking on the “APPLY” button below.
- Please fill out every section of the form before saving your application. This application will take between 10 and 15 minutes to complete. All required questions must have a response in order to save the application. You can edit these responses after you have saved your application.
- If you choose to make changes to your application, you can access it from the dashboard on your GIST Network profile. You are allowed to make changes to your submission until the application deadline.
- Documents Required: In addition to responding to biographical questions, you will need to provide responses to several business and technical questions about your startup and provide a 90-second pitch video
- If you are creating your GIST Network account through this application, you will need click on a confirmation link that will be emailed to you. If you do not, your application will not be submitted on the application deadline.
If you have questions about the Tech-I application or specific application questions, please contact Tech-I@GISTNetwork.org.
For More Information: