The 2018 Curtis Scholarship is an annual leadership development program to support youth ages 16-20 from underserved communities in the U.S. or U.K. who embody the values of global citizenship.
Curtis Scholars will be invited to join a 10 day learning trip to South Africa, and one advocacy trip to Global Citizen Week Events in NYC.
Joined by members of the Global Citizen staff, the Curtis Scholars will explore social issues, innovative international organizations and cultural sites with a focus on poverty alleviation in Global Citizen’s issue areas.
- Ages 16-20 (by time of application)
- U.S. Citizens or U.K. Citizens
- Limited past overseas travel
- Family household income of under $85,000 USD or £60,000 GBP
- Those from minority and underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learning Trip Includes
- Pre- and post-departure trip learning sessions (through December 2018)
- Round trip airfare from within the U.S. or U.K. to South Africa (August 2 – 12) and New York (September 24-29)
- Round trip airfare from within the U.S. to NYC or within U.K. to London for a Global Citizen-led Orientation (August 1)
- All trip-related meals
- Lodging and transportation
- Other out-of-pocket expenses (at the GC’s discretion)
- Passport fees and all travel costs associated with this trip
- Applicants can choose between submitting 2-3 minute videos or 500-700 word written responses to the two essay questions in the application.
- Applicants must also respond to two short answer questions, up to 250 words each.
- Applicants must submit a recommendation letter from a teacher/professor, school administrator, community leader, or colleague to be considered for the Curtis Scholarship.
- Guidelines for Recommendation letter
For More Information: