Government Communication Service (GCS) Summer Internship 2018
Application Deadline: 22nd February 2018.
Applications for the GCS Internship are now being accepted for Summer 2018
Are you considering a career in communications? The Government Communication Service (GCS) internship offers a unique opportunity to develop your skills and the chance to work on some of the biggest communications challenges and issues of the day.
The GCS Internship provides you the opportunity to work in a range of communications disciplines (media and campaigns, strategic communications, strategic engagement and internal communications), delivering cutting edge work for UK Government. You could find yourself working on national media campaigns; creating innovative content for social media; working in a busy media office; a major staff engagement programme or with Ministers and senior officials.
We are looking for capable and motivated young people who are interested in a career in communications and passionate about working with important issues. Successful candidates will demonstrate good communications skills, an ability to identify target audiences, select appropriate communications tools, evaluate the impact and effectiveness of communications efforts and work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
What to expect
GCS will offer you a 6-12 week paid internship within either a government department or public body. You will undergo an intensive programme of communications profession activities, including a 1 day induction into the GCS, communications training sessions, a careers workshop and various networking events.
The internship is based in London, with some placement opportunities available in Bristol, Bootle, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, South Wales (Newport) and Wiltshire.
Salary: £350 per week
On the internship you will be doing interesting and challenging work. You could be:
- assisting with the creation of campaigns and media materials
- organising events across the UK
- conducting research and analysing audience insight
- writing content for websites and social media
- providing project support
Please refer to the eligibility criteria set out in the candidate information pack, FAQ’s and the application form.
To apply, candidates must:
- Be in your final two years at university – in a communications related subject (awarded or expected) or
- Be working towards a degree equivalent qualification in a communications subject (NVQ level 6)
- Be eligible to work in the UK
Candidates must also be from one or more of the following backgrounds:
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- Socially or economically disadvantaged (based on parental occupation)
- Care leaver
- Registered as disabled
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
If you are successful, please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Good written and oral communications skills
- An understanding and interest in current issues
- The ability to identify target audiences and select appropriate communications channels
- The ability to work effectively independently and with others
Please refer to the GCS Competency Framework for more information
Indicative recruitment timeline
Expected telephone interviews: March 2018 (dates TBC)
Expected appointments: April 2018
Begin in roles in June-July 2018
How to apply
For More Information: