Application Deadline: November 2nd 2016
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
Areas of research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and/or humanities research
Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually
A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
$50,000 per year
3 years (non-renewable)
Scholarships are distributed equally between the three federal granting agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- July – November Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit application package.
- Internal Deadline Deadline to submit application to the nominating institution.
- Contact nominating institution for specific date.
November 2, 2016 (20:00 ET) Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.
- November 2016 – March 2017 Review and evaluation of nominations.
- March 30, 2017 Results released.
- May 1, 2017, September 1, 2017 or January 1, 2018 Payments begin.
For More Information: