Grist Fellowship Program 2018 for emerging Journalists
Application Deadline: December 29, 2017.
Want to grow as a journalist while absorbing a universe of green knowledge? Apply for the Grist Fellowship Program.
The Grist Fellowship Program is an opportunity to hone your skills at a national news outlet and deepen your understanding of environmental issues. We’re looking for early-career journalists with a variety of skills, from traditional reporting to multimedia whizbangery. We will offer exposure to the leading sustainability thinkers and theories of our time, real-world experience at a fast-paced news site, and the occasional French bulldog in a Triceratops costume. Grist fellows have gone on to land jobs at Mother Jones, The New York Times, Pacific Standard, Oceana, Greentech Media, and The Stranger, among other outlets.
We are an independent nonprofit media organization that shapes the country’s environmental conversations, making green second nature for our monthly audience of 2.5 million and growing. At Grist, green isn’t about hugging trees or hiking — it’s about using humor and straight talk to connect big issues like climate change to real people and how they live, work, and play.
For the spring term, which begins in March 2018, we are offering three fellowships:
Applicants must submit the following in one PDF attachment:
- Resume and cover letter. We are looking for a succinct, thoughtful cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style.
- Show us your work. A demo reel or a few videos that demonstrate your ability to tell a visual story. We will gladly accept links to your work, but cannot review original files.
- Pitch two short-form video ideas. What would be the first couple videos that you would produce? One idea should be for a social video that works well on Facebook or Twitter. The second idea should be for an explainer video about a compelling environmental story. Each idea should be a brief paragraph.
- Pitch a short documentary. What aspect of the environmental/sustainability story are you passionate about covering? How would you explore that passion in the form of a 5-15 minute mini-documentary for Grist? Please specify how you would produce the documentary, including target sources, length and format, potential angle, visual approach, etc. The pitch should be no longer than 300 words.
- Link us to your site. We want to see what other projects you’ve worked on. If you draw, we want to see your prints. If you are super into claymation, that’s cool too. If you have some background in audio storytelling, we’d love to check that out. Show us what else you can do.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Video Fellow” in the subject line. Please include all materials in one PDF attachment. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For fellowships that begin March 2018, please submit applications by December 29, 2017.
No phone calls, please and thank you.
Grist is an equal-opportunity employer.
For More Information: