Images & Voices of Hope is now accepting applications for the second iteration of its Restorative Narrative Fellowship. ivoh’s fellowship is an extension of the organization’s work around Restorative Narrative — a genre of stories that show how people and communities are making a meaningful progression from a place of despair to a place of resilience.
- The fellowship will provide four fellows with a stipend to spend six months telling Restorative Narratives in various communities.
- The fellowship is open to media practitioners of all kinds — photographers, journalists, gamers, documentary filmmakers, and marketers. Both freelancers and employed media practitioners can apply.
- Freelancers will be required to find a home for their projects, while those employed at media organizations can work on their fellowship project with the intent of publishing it on their organization’s website.
- Each fellow will receive a $2,500 stipend for financial support and to cover costs associated with their work for the fellowship.
- These costs may include travel, data analysis, research expenses, and more. Fellows, who will work with a story coach during the fellowship, will maintain autonomy throughout the storytelling process and will not be beholden to their story coach or funders.
The fellowship provides:
- A $2,500 stipend. Half will be paid at the beginning of the fellowship and half will be paid upon completion of the project.
- Coaching from Jacqui Banaszynski, a Pulitzer prize-winning journalist, longtime editor, and a professor at the University of Missouri. Jacqui will be available to offer story coaching and support throughout the six months.
- All-expenses paid trips to two fellows dialogues, one of which will include a day-long training workshop with Jacqui Banaszynski.
- Involvement as a speaker at ivoh’s annual media summit, which attracts media practitioners from around the world.
- Ongoing recognition and support from ivoh staff.
- Nov. 16, 2015: Application deadline
- Dec. 1, 2015: Winning fellows notified
- Jan. 1, 2016: Fellowship begins
- Jan. 10-11, 2016: First fellows dialogue and training workshop, to be held at The Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, FL
- Late May/June 2016: Tentative time for second fellows dialogue (exact date and location to be determined by early 2016).
- July 1, 2016: Fellowship ends
Fellows will be expected to:
- Complete their project within the six-month deadline, barring any extenuating circumstances
- Attend and actively participate in the two fellows dialogues and ivoh’s annual media summit (all expenses will be paid; exact summit date will be determined by Nov. 1.)
- Interact on a monthly basis (or more, if needed) with story coach Jacqui Banaszynski to seek feedback and share updates on how the fellowship project is progressing.
- Sign a letter of agreement, and have their editor/boss sign it, as a show of support for the fellowship and as an indicator that the fellowship guidelines/expectations are clear.
For More Information: