InternetLab 2017 Call for International school for journalists
Application Deadline: 16 January 2017
InternetLab School 2017 is focused on journalists. It is an initiative for those who are
interested in telling stories about social, political, and cultural changes resulted from the development of technology and internet. Our purpose is to create a learning environment through the contact with examples of information society narratives. The participants will be immersed in lectures, seminars and workshops that will happen in three moments:
(i) before school,
(ii) during school, and
(iii) after school. During school, the activities will be face-to-face and intensive.
HOW WILL IT WORK?
The participation in the InternetLab School 2017 is free of charge and InternetLab
will offer scholarships to cover the costs related to the program, such as lodging, food,
This year’s activities are organized in three thematic axes:
- UNDERSTANDING THE STRUGGLES (INTERNET, POLITICS, STORIES, TRENDS)
- TELLING STORIES (DATABASES, LEAKINGS, FACT-CHECKING)
- CONSIDERING THE CONSEQUENCES (BIG DATA, BUBBLE EFFECT, ENGAGING READERS, SECURITY)
SUBMISSIONS – Selection criteria
- Journalists from all over Latin America: 20 journalists will be selected,
ten from Brazil and ten from other Latin American countries.
- Interest in the transformations that new technologies and internet have triggered: the most important requirement to accomplish is the interest in these changes.
- Acquaintance with the coverage of Internet policies’ agenda: The InternetLab is looking for people who are already covering these issues and want some
specialization. This criterion is not qualifying, but it will be taken into
account during the selection.
- Diversity: we will take into account diversity criteria [such as gender, race,
regional distribution, and others].
- Quality and engagement: The InternetLab will take into consideration the candidate’s’ general interests, the commitment to Internet policies’ agenda, and the quality of the work submitted to us.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- motivation letter with up to 300 words, no title needed, describing your areas of interest and relevant aspects of your professional experience a recent article written by you on some issue dealing with technology and Internet
- [optional] letter of recommendation of university professors who know the
candidate well and/or organizations working in the field of digital rights
and/or media (digital or printed) in which the journalist has already worked
or provided services for.
- [scholarships] please indicate the need of financial support for transport or
accommodation [identify which]
- The participation in the InternetLab School 2017 is free of charge. The
project has an aid fund to offer scholarships which will cover transportation
and daily expenses in São Paulo.
- The activities of the school will be conducted mainly in Portuguese and
Spanish (and possibly in English).
- Participants will make an effort for
communication to overcome language barriers between the two languages.
- Deadline for applications: 16 January 2017
- Accepted applicants will be contacted in: 30 January 2017
For More Information: