IRCAM Musical and Artistic Research Residency Program 2018 for Composers and Artists.
Application Deadline: OCTOBER 30, 2016
For the 9th edition of the Musical and Artistic Research Residency, IRCAM invites composers and artists to submit artistic projects on novel and unexplored paradigms requiring collaborations with IRCAM research. The program is open to all artists, regardless of age or nationality, who wish to carry out experimental research using partners’ facilities and extensive research environment.
An international panel of experts including researchers, composers, computer musicians, and artists will evaluate each application. Upon nomination, each candidate will be granted a residency at IRCAM (for the IRCAM Track) or in a partner institution (for the joint ZKM/IRCAM Track) during a specific period (three or six months) and in association with scientific team/projects. Selected candidates receive the equivalent of 1,200 Euro per month to cover expenses.
Applications are accepted only online via the Ulysses Network: http://www.ulysses-network.eu. Applicants can submit their material upon creation of an account on the website. The deadline for application is October 30th 2016 (midnight Paris time).
An international panel of experts will evaluate all applications and final results will be announced in January 2017. In special cases, a scientific committee organized by IRCAM and partners may interview the candidates. Evaluation is based on the project’s novelty and collaborative aspects, and the holder’s prior experience and ability to undertake the proposed project.
- Applications can be in French or English for the Ircam Track, English is mandatory for the joint ZKM/Ircam residency track.
- Application procedure is strictly ONLINE. No material through mail or post will be considered.
- A candidate can not represent for more than two consecutive years.
- Submission deadline is strict and will be automatically closed by October 30th 2016 (midnight Paris time). No exceptions will be granted.
- Any incomplete and defected application according to the above guidelines will be rejected. Authors are responsible for the application content and its verification.
- All submission materials are considered confidential and will not be used by Ircam or any third-party without the consent of the applicant.
- The artistic research residency is by no means a commision for an art-work or a scientific residency. It can however become an experimental stage for an art-work in collaboration with scientific research teams.
For the 2018 edition, applicants can submit applications for either of the following tracks (to be specified in the online application form):
IRCAM Residency Track
Candidates will work in the context of the Research and Development department in Paris, in order to pursue their work. They will collaborate with members of IRCAM teams thus enabling them to further investigate the musical and technological issues explored through experimentation as well as participate in the intellectual life of the institute.
ZKM / IRCAM Joint Residency Track
The purpose of the Joint ZKM/IRCAM residency is to foster collaborations between the two institutions around one or two artistic projects that demand joining research, technical and artistic efforts between the two entities.
Candidates applying to the Joint ZKM/IRCAM Residency Track should choose the Special Track in their application. Submitted applications should clearly demonstrate collaborative aspects with two institutions for the project.
For this call, the Joint ZKM/IRCAM Residency Track program is particularly interested in artistic residencies calling for innovative employment of Wavefield Synthesis, Vector Based Amplitude Panning and Ambisonics spatial sound diffusions. But proposals covering other themes within the activities of both institutions are welcome.
ZKM is a cultural institution in Karlsruhe, Germany, that combines production and research, exhibitions and events, among others, for the development of interdisciplinary art projects.
Create an account (or use pre-existing account) on http://www.ulysses-network.eu/. After creating your profile, create your application for “Ircam – Artistic Research Residency Program” via the “Your Application” panel. You can save your application as draft before the submission deadline. The system will warn for any incomplete material before the final submission.
Applicants are highly encouraged to consult existing and prior work related to their proposed project at Ircam and elsewhere through various sources including Ircam Research websites and program partners.
- Biographical details: Short biography, Detailed CV, and Motivation Letter
- Project title
- Project abstract
- Detailed Project Proposal: Detailed Project description, including the state-of-the-art background and justifications on the novelty of the proposed project, and possible ways to achieve goals through a collaborative musical research project. Projects should clearly address artistic challenges that can be solved/explored using scientific and technological advances.
- Summary of collaborative aspects: Briefly describe the collaborative aspects (within a research and artistic environment) that the proposal entails.
- Work plan: Preliminary work plan including requested residency period and duration (between January 2018 and December 2018), and Ircam teams or staff who will be involved with the project.
- Multimedia (audio/video) samples: Samples of prior or current work representative of the artistic and research quality of the applicant’s work. Submission of program notes and scores along the multimedia is highly recommended.
For More Information: