John Smith Trust Spring 2018 Wider Europe Fellowship Programme.
Application Deadline: November 10th 2017
The aim of the Fellowship Programmes is to give the next generation of leaders the chance to explore issues of governance, social justice and the rule of law through an intensive four-week series of workshops, debates, visits and placements in the UK, reinforced by follow-up mentoring and support. Those who successfully complete the initial UK programme and year-long engagement become part of the distinguished JST Alumni, a network of over 500 Fellows across the region, continuing to exchange and collaborate with other members and participating in events. The JST Fellowship is for life.
It is now possible to apply for the Spring 2018 Wider Europe Fellowship Programme.
To apply you must:
- Speak and write fluent English (preferably having already studied or worked in English)
- Demonstrate your potential as a leader in your chosen professional field, committed to the positive future development of your country.
- Demonstrate a clear professional interest in the areas of good governance, rule of law or social justice.
- Propose an Action Plan addressing a policy or organisational issue of importance in your field of work which you intend to implement on return to your home country, and which will be informed by your experience in the UK.
- Be prepared to make a substantial commitment if selected as a Fellow: to be available for a four-week residential programme in the UK and to participate actively in the JST Alumni Network in the long-term.
- The Fellowship is a unique career enhancing and potentially life changing opportunity to develop your leadership skills and gain professional experience through access to high level UK experts and senior leaders.
- You will see in practice how UK institutions function and how they address the challenges facing a modern democracy.
- You will have the chance to make lifelong friendships and invaluable professional contacts.
- After completion, you will become part of the John Smith Alumni Network which spans over 20 countries, connecting leaders from government, civil society organisations and the private sector.
John Smith Fellows can come from any field, particularly politics, administration, business, the media, and civil society. The age band of Fellows is normally 25 to 35 years.
How to apply
- The process starts with a short application form, which you should complete as soon as possible. Please note that we will close access to the short form on Friday 10th November 2017. If you are selected for the next stage we will ask you to complete a longer application form, with a deadline of Friday 24th November.
- The final stage for shortlisted candidates is a face-to-face interview in their respective country in January/February 2018, with final selection and confirmation of Fellows by the first week of March. (Candidates shortlisted for interview will be notified before the end of December.)
- If you meet the criteria above and are interested in the 2018 Wider Europe Fellowship Programme, please complete this application form.