Application Deadline: 9am Monday 23 July 2018
Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships will run for a sixth year. This is for those who commence their secondary mathematics initial teacher training which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in the academic year 2018/19.
Teaching maths in secondary schools is exciting and dynamic. You can make a real difference at every level from beginner, intermediate and advanced. Maths in the UK needs your special talents. We welcome applications from people who can become passionate, knowledgeable and talented teachers to inspire and enthuse future generations.
For all applicants, please be aware scholarship funding is not available for trainees who want to take up a teacher training place, on a course that leads to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills Status (QTLS). QTLS is a Further Education qualification (post-16) and you are not eligible for funding or a Scholarship if you plan to take up a place on a QTLS course.
For funding or a Scholarship you must be intending to take up a training place on a secondary teaching course that leads to QTS (pre-16).
To apply for a Scholarship, you need to meet the following criteria:
• You qualify as a home student for the purpose of provision of student support,
• You have or expect to:
◦ Achieve a First, 2:i or postgraduate degree (Masters/PhD) in a subject with a strong mathematical content (applications are also welcomed from candidates with a 2:ii degree if combined with significant relevant experience), or;
◦ Have completed or will complete a Maths Subject Enhancement Course (SKE) prior to September 2017 or;
◦ Have a non-mathematical degree with extensive mathematical professional experience
• Secure a training place on an eligible Secondary Mathematics PGCE or unsalaried School Direct mathematics course in England which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) status for the 2018/19 academic year
Please be aware that if you don’t have a maths degree you may need to provide degree transcripts. Equally, if you have completed your degree outside the UK you will need a NARIC equivalency statement to assist your application.
The application process starts by completing and submitting our online form. You should only start the application if you feel you have the necessary subject knowledge. If you don’t feel you do, then we advise you to begin the application process for an ITT course leading to QTS, so that you can potentially be allocated a place on a SKE course.
Furthermore, if you are on an SKE course we recommend that you complete this if possible before you come to an assessment centre. This is to assist you with regards to the mathematical knowledge you will need to show as part of the overall assessment process.
The application rounds for this year are:
R1: 9am Monday 16 October 2017 to 9am Monday 27 November 2017
R2: 9am Monday 4 December 2017 to 9am Monday 15 January 2018
R3: 9am Monday 22 January 2018 to 9am Monday 26 February 2018
R4: 9am Monday 5 March 2018 to 9am Monday 23 April 2018
R5: 9am Monday 30 April 2018 to 9am Monday 11 June 2018
R6: 9am Monday 18 June 2018 to 9am Monday 23 July 2018
Please note that if you’re unsuccessful at any stage you cannot reapply in the current application year.
Last year, we received an overwhelming number of applications to the Maths Scholarships which lead to the Scheme closing earlier than originally intended. If this happens again, then we will close early.
For More Information: