Application Deadline: July 16th 2018
The Faculty of Engineering and Provost’s Office have established a competitive post-doctoral fellowship to encourage indigenous doctoral candidates to continue their research at McMaster University in an appropriate technical discipline. Two scholarships are offered, each with a value of $50,000 (plus benefits) for one year. Interested applicants are encourage to contact potential supervisors within the departments of the faculty or to contact the Associate Dean of Research and External Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, Engineering (email@example.com) for assistance.
Value of Fellowship: $50,000 (plus benefits).
Term of Fellowship: One year.
- A North American indigenous applicant who has earned their PhD, within the past two years
Eligibility Window for Degree Completion
Applicants for the 2017–18 scholarship must fulfill, or have fulfilled, all degree requirements of their PhD:
- between September 1, 2016 and August 15, 2018 (inclusive), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof of completion no later than September 1, 2018.
Allowable Extensions to Eligibility Window
The window of eligibility can be extended by a cumulative maximum of one year if the applicant had their career interrupted for the following reasons:
- Parental leave
- Health-related family responsibilities
No other exceptions will be allowed. Justification must be provided in a Letter of Special Circumstances.
Other Eligibility Restrictions
- Applicants who currently hold or have held a post-doctoral fellowship from an external agency, such as the TriCouncil (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) are eligible to apply to the 2018–19 call for applications only if the terms of that funding are completed before September 30, 2018 and prior to the start of the postdoctoral fellowship.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position.
- Research Excellence
- Quality of the applicant’s proposed research program
- Institutional commitment and demonstrated synergy between applicant and institutional strategic priorities.
|May-June, 2018||Applicants seek endorsement of potential supervisor|
|July 16, 2018||Online Application deadline|
|July-August 2018||Evaluation of applications|
|August 2018||Announcement of results|
|Sept 2018 – Nov 2018||Position commences|
The application package includes:
- Research Proposal (max. 1 page) with a separate page of references.
- Significance of Research Contributions (max. 1 page)
- Supervisor’s Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of reference
- Letter outlining Special Circumstances (if needed)
- Eligibility window will only be extended by the duration of the eligible delay(s)/interruption(s). Provide specific dates for your delays and/or interruptions in the letter, including the exact number of months or days these interruptions accounted for.
Notification of Results
Applicants will be notified of the outcome in mid to late August by email.
For More Information: