Application Deadline: December 30th 2016
For more than 20 years, the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) Program has provided students with fellowship opportunities to gain hands-on research experience with the Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Fossil Energy. The MLEF program was created in 1995 with the goal of improving opportunities for under-represented students in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields; however, all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
The mission of the MLEF program is to strengthen a diverse pipeline of future STEM professionals, and this program has mentored several hundred of the best and brightest students from across the nation for future careers in STEM.
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of application
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Be currently enrolled full-time as a degree-seeking student in a STEM program at an accredited college or university at the Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral level (Students pursuing an Associate’s degree are eligible to apply if transferring to pursue a Bachelor’s degree for fall 2017). Must be at least a college sophomore at the time of application.
- Be available to participate in the full 10-week program
The MLEF program provides stipends to Fellows based on the following scale:
- Current undergraduate students receive a weekly stipend of $600
- Current Master’s students receive a weekly stipend of $750
- Current Ph.D students receive a weekly stipend of $850
Some fellows may be authorized to receive an additional allowance to offset the cost of housing and travel expenses. This allowance may not cover the full cost of housing or travel to the program site.
Below are the important dates for the 2017 program.
- Application deadline: December 30, 2016 (Applications must by SUBMTTED by the application deadline). Letters of Reference only will be accepted until January 13, 2017
- Candidates notified of selection: February-April 2017
- Program dates: June 5 to August 11, 2017
- Kick-off/orientation: Monday, June 12, 2017 in Washington, D.C.
- Technical forum: August 6-11, 2017 in Pittsburgh, PA
How to Apply
The MLEF application process is a two-part process.
- The online application: Go to https://www.zintellect.com/Posting/Details/2551 to start the application process. You will need to upload your unofficial transcripts, upload a resume, and provide contact information for two individuals who can serve as a reference. Documents must be uploaded in PDF format. Your online application must be submitted by the application deadline listed above. Once you submit your online application, you can no longer make changes to the information provided.
- References: You will need to have two individuals submit references for you. Please note that your reference will not be e-mailed with instructions until you submit your online application. Refer to the section below for more details.
Once you submit your application, the references you listed will receive an auto-generated email from the Zintellect system with instructions on how to submit a reference on your behalf. It is your responsibility to communicate with your references to determine if they received instructions on how to submit a recommendation. Two references must be received by January 13. Please note that your application must be submitted by the application deadline of December 30. The later date only applies to your references.
For More Information: