Application Deadline: 15 January 2017
A 1-day negotiation simulation of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit
Do you want to …
- understand the work of a diplomat and become a diplomat for a day?
- participate in a day-long negotiation simulation and practice your public speaking skills?
- learn more about diplomatic negotiations?
- learn how to build bridges between Asia and Europe?
- test your skills and see if you can achieve consensus before the clock runs out?
The Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off 2017 is a 1-day political simulation of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit. ASEM is a process of dialogue and cooperation bringing together the 28 European Union member states, 2 other European countries, and the European Union with 21 Asian countries and the ASEAN Secretariat. The ASEM dialogue addresses political, economic and socio-cultural issues in an informal setting, with the objective of strengthening the relationship between the two regions, in a spirit of mutual respect and equal partnership.
- During the simulation, you will be part of a diplomatic delegation, represent one of the 53 ASEM partners and play the role of a Head of State or ASEM leader and debate political, economic and socio-cultural issues with your counterparts from Asia and Europe.
- The Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off 2017 invites students from Swiss universities for a first-hand experience of the ASEM process. You and your fellow participants will negotiate a draft text of the ASEM Chair’s Statement and adopt it in a plenary session, while representing one ASEM partner.
- Through role-play, research, case-studies, and practical training, you will get a chance to improve your diplomatic, negotiation, consensus-building, and public speaking skills, while getting feedback from practitioners in the room.
- The best negotiators will be invited to the 8th Model ASEM which will take place in Myanmar in November 2017 in conjunction with the 13th ASEM Foreign Ministers‘ Meeting (ASEM FMM13).
What to expect …
- On 1 February 2017 you will start with an online preparatory phase. You will research your country’s position and learn about ASEM and diplomatic negotiations.
- The Simulation will take place on 1 March 2017. During the one-day simulation, you will work towards agreeing on the ASEM Chair’s Statement in small group negotiations and a plenary discussion.
Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off 2017 – on the day
When: 1 March 2017, starting from 9:00 until 19:00 | Where: École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
- Morning: work in small groups on the draft text guided by facilitators
- Afternoon: Plenary discussion of draft text and adoption
- Late afternoon: Panel discussion – presentation of “ Model ASEM Switzerland Spin-off 2017 Chair’s Statement” and presentation of awards
There is no registration or participation fee. Meals will be provided during the day. We have a small fund to support travel and accommodation costs. If needed, you can apply for travel reimbursement and accommodation when filling out the application form.
For More Information: