- The Conference will be held from 2nd April – 9th April.
- The venue of the conference is the EU parliament in Strasbourg, France.
- The participation fee including accomodation in Strasbourg is 150€.
Join us from the 2nd April to 9th April for Model European Union Strasbourg, the original and authoritative simulation of European politics. MEU was founded in the spring of 2007 by a group of university students and have since grown to be the world’s largest and most authentic simulation of the EU’s decision-making process.
Bringing together 200 young Europeans, our intense, weeklong conference is held inside the European Parliament in Strasbourg – and the two topics discussed this year are the refugee crisis and renewable energy. During the conference, you will have the chance to test yourself and interact with others in a professional but friendly environment, where you experience the internal functioning of the EU first hand. The official language of MEU Strasbourg is English, but there will be interpretation into all major European Languages
During the conference, roughly 200 participants have the chance to interact with each other in a professional and friendly environment, where they can truly comprehend the internal functioning of the EU. Each year they debate two real-life legislative proposals drafted by the European Commission and simulate the EU decision making process by taking on the roles of:
- Member of the European Parliament
MEU is not only a unique educational project that gives its participants the opportunity to develop their skills in debating, communication and lawmaking in a truly international setting. It is also a place where lifelong friendships are formed and where the true spirit of European integration flows!
In order to participate, you need to have your application submitted and accepted, be able to cover your travel costs both to and from Strasbourg and pay the 150€ participation fee. The participation fee covers the accommodation in Strasbourg as well as breakfasts and lunches, social events and transportation within the city.
Anyone officially residing on one of the following states is eligible to apply:
- All 28 EU Member States
- EFTA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland
- Eastern Partnership Countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine
- Southern Mediterranean Countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia
- Western Balkans: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia
- Russian Federation
- Republic of Turkey
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Applicants must be between 18 and 26 years of age throughout the duration of the conference.
All fields in the application form MUST BE filled in British English, the official language of MEUS 2016. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automatically generated confirmation.
As stated previously, essays must be written in English. We strongly advise that you keep a copy of your essay after submitting your application. Note that, due to anti-plagiarism procedures, two identical essays from two different applicants will disqualify them both. Applications with no essays or essays on a different topic than those proposed will be automatically rejected.
You must choose one of the following essay questions:
- Does the current refugee crisis demonstrate the failure or the success of dealing with the right to asylum at a European level?
- Is it feasible and desirable for the European Union to rely exclusively on the use of renewable energy?
- Is the process of European Integration driven by ideology or practical considerations? Discuss.
You may choose from the following roles. Please note that you may apply for a maximum of two roles. You have to submit a motivation letter for both your 1st and 2nd choice.
- Member of the European Parliament (MEP);
- Minister of the Council of the European Union;
- Photojournalist, Videojournalist;
- Interpreter (only 1st choice).
Once you have selected your position, you must respect the following application criteria.
- Ministers, MEPs, Lobbyists and Print Journalists must submit the following:
- Their CV
- Their Motivation Letter (250 words (250 words ±10%);
- Their answer to ONE essay question (500 words ±10%)
- Print Journalist only must also attach a sample of journalistic work
- Video- and Photo Journalists must submit the following:
- Their CV
- Their Portfolio
- Interpreters must submit the following:
- Their CV
- Their Motivation Letter (500-1000 words)*
- Their Reference Letter
- Their Transcript of Records from last two years*
Please read the notes of guidance carefully before starting your application
In order to successfully complete your application, you must:
- Attach your CV
- Fill out the Application form;
- Write a short motivation letter (250 words ±10%)*;
- Answer ONE essay question (500 words ±10%, no endnotes)*
- Upload any document required for your application;
For More Information: