Application Deadline: August 1, 2016
The Emerging Voices Fellowship is a literary mentorship that aims to provide new writers who are isolated from the literary establishment with the tools, skills, and knowledge they need to launch a professional writing career.
Components of the Emerging Voices Fellowship Include:
- A professional mentorship with a published author.
- Classes at the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program.
- Author Evenings with prominent authors, publishers, agents, and editors.
- A series of master classes focused on genre.
- A voice instruction class and recording session.
- A volunteer opportunity.
- Three public readings in Los Angeles.
- A $1,000 stipend.
People ineligible for the Emerging Voices Fellowship:
- Those who have an M.A., M.F.A., or Ph.D. in Creative Writing.
- Students currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs.
- Writers who have published one or more books through major publishing houses, university presses, or established presses.
- Current professional magazine and or newspaper feature writers or editors.
- Writers who are widely published in top tier literary journals and/or magazines.
- Anyone under the age of 21.
Emerging Voices is a rigorous fellowship based in Los Angeles with weekly meetings and an intense reading and writing schedule. With this in mind, participants must be willing and able to make an enthusiastic commitment to the fellowship and to their involvement as members of a group. If you are not a resident of Los Angeles, and you are awarded the fellowship you will need to relocate for the seven month period. Housing is not provided.
Applications Must Include:
- Completed short answers.
- A professional CV. Please list any writing experience, education, and publishing credits.
- Two current letters of recommendation written by people who are either familiar with your writing, or can attest to your ability to complete any long term project. Letters must include the current recommender’s e-mail address and phone number.
- A writing sample of up to 20 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction, or 10 pages of poetry. This sample should be relevant to the project you are proposing in the short answer section of your Emerging Voices Fellowship Application.
Writing Samples Must:
- Include full name and e-mail address on each page.
- Be typed, double-spaced, paginated in 12-point Times New Roman font.
- Uploaded as an attachment.
Finalists will be notified in mid-October and will be required to interview in person with the selection committee in Los Angeles. The list of selected fellows will be posted on the PEN Center USA website following interviews.
For More Information: