Application Deadline: Friday 23 September 2016.
Following the success of the previous photo competitions by the Physical Geography Special Interest Group, the Physical Geography Photo Competition returns.
The theme for this year’s competition is ‘Earth enquiry: exploring physical geography’.
- to promote students’ observation and awareness of physical geography in their environment
- to apply young people’s knowledge of physical geography using an informal context
- to inspire young people to observe and interact with physical geography through imagery
- for young people to recognise that photography is an exciting and interesting way of capturing and interpreting physical geography.
Theme: Earth Enquiry Exploring Physical Geography
How to enter:
- Submit a photo of a physical feature or landscape, which could be an expansive view or something at a much smaller scale, alongside a (maximum of 250 words) description that includes an interesting enquiry question and a suggestion for investigating the physical geography within the photo.
- The enquiry question could be about the form, structure, materials, setting, process(es) or timescales associated with the physical geography feature in the photo. Include the field information you would want to record and how you would collate this data to investigate your theme.
- The competition is open to students in years 7-13 during the
academic year of 2015-16.
- Entries will be judged on both the photograph and the description of the physical geography it contains.
- Courtesy of Páramo Directional Clothing Systems, www.paramo.co.uk
- 1st prize = Fuera Ascent Windproof Jacket
- 2nd prize = Fuera Smock
- 3rd prize = Páramo Travel Towel
- All winners and entries judged as Highly Commended will receive a copy of Longman’s Student Atlas from the Geographical Association and a certificate.
- Successful photographs will feature on the Geographical Association website.
For More Information: